Saturday 30 September 2023

How to stop outside walls leaking in water



BUY MORTAR REPAIR HERE! 
(As Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)

We have rain water pouring into our walls. This is my journey to find out where it's coming from and how to stop it. I vow to do less DIY and Home improvement projects... but after I've fixed this leak first. Wherever the hole is.

Plus my first time up an alloy scaffolding tower. And probably the last.

Our walls are leaking in water... Vlogmas!



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!
winter is coming it's I was going to say it's on its way but it's already here and I'll show you the problem that we've got but how can we make our homes warmer for winter how can I stop the heat that I'm paying for leaving the house with you know well there's all sorts around the house so I'm going to try and weatherproof the house I'm going to try and stop The Exodus of heat from our home but I'm also fixing a couple of other bigger problems as well so this is going to be a bit of a all-in floor color I'm Neil this is the dad delivers Vlog where I try to make your family Happy by trying something new every day oh I'm going to try a few new things today I don't want to do it so I thought I'd start the camera and this is going to be a really rambling video like the others aren't but I've got a big problem over here so this footage here is of our kitchen and living room being rebuilt from scratch and they did an amazing job and we're really happy with it look these doors it's nice this is what it used to look like uh it felt like a toxic death trap and now it looks like this which obviously we're really happy and grateful for but we had a small problem and I think this problem was always here the walls were always rotten and whatever caused that problem isn't down here it's somewhere else but we've got water coming in here and here this is all brand new and up here as well so to get that fixed we had some even more major work down down down the side here because the mortar I keep calling it grouting but the mortar between the bricks was in a really shocking state so we had all of this wall just completely redone and completely re-mortared and so if you can see it's like really chunky I think there's a word for it that Builders use that I I don't know but it's where they use like three times the amount of cement or mortar between the bricks and it kind of pushes the the rain away which is great because it really needed doing this was in a shocking state but I don't think it's what caused the problem because the leaks that I just showed you were above the door there so the water would have to go in and jump because there are two bricks worth of wool if that makes sense with a gap in the middle they've done a fantastic job but I don't think it's what caused the the the leak there and despite the hive is vest that I'm wearing it I'm not an expert at this but I do know that water can't jump 10 centimeters to get to the other side I think there's only one thing left for it and I think what's caused it is higher up I can have to zoom in it's quite high up and my glasses but is this in a shocking state it looks a bit moldy but above it the roof we had the roof completely done so the roof is brand new that's not blessing in water it's definitely not letting in water so somehow water is getting into the house into that wall between the roof and this wall and that can only by process of elimination mean that it's this area here and I think there's a culprit because we only get water going in when it's really heavy rain and wind is blowing this way so I think that the reason this looks like a steak is because water's getting into that wall like right above it this is my detective work is the leak is about here and above the door there and right above it there's an old bracket that held uh what do you call it like a guttering rain gutter that used to come down following that diagonal line and then just there there is a it's like a bracket or a hole there there's also holes here and another one up there I don't think I don't think it's they're the ones causing me problems but I'll try and fill them in that is the one I'm after and that is what I'm going to Target now but this was never meant to be a DIY Vlog and I'm supposed to be sharing like emotionally how I'm supporting our family but I know on my own doing DIY in these videos I'm going to try and do less of these because frankly I'd like to do less DIY but let's start the music and start a DIY Montage for yet another DIY video get this look I've got a towel I've managed to hire a towel all those Casper's down there this wasn't so easy I didn't know what I was doing when I was renting it so the working height is actually I think it's lower than the ladder but at least I'm not standing the ladder ended here and I'd be teetering on the edge if I were doing that so at least I've got a nice kind of walkway but it's too it's way too uh not tall shorts that's the word and this is me using an extendable Pole to paint the wall here's a close-up of the pole it kind of works like this you know how a pole works and I'm pretty sure that the water is getting in there it's just you can't see it because it's like a lip and I think it's cracked I think that's where the liquid goes in so I'm really just soaking this with it's like a sealant paint really super expensive 45 pounds of tin and it's a primer sealer stain killer I've basically bought it solely on the graphics on the tin so I've gone back to the hire company and asked for another Tower to go on top of this one I'm hoping that will double the height which means I'll be able to actually see the the lip itself it's sass day today it doesn't get here till Tuesday it's another 50 pounds but I don't regret it because I'll be able to actually see the hole but way I'm using this tiny roller because the big roller doesn't fit this stick I thought I want to take another 40 minute Journey to the DIY store or should I do it with a small one actually I think the smaller one has worked out much better this is ridiculous but it actually works I prefer it here's a nice multi area here

it's a few days later and the weather has turned to this so let's see what it looks like well just tread in a puddle so what I'm hoping is that the water that would have run down that crack and into that hole is now just being like run off I'm hoping that the the sealant paint has stopped the rain going in into the wall and over here you can see I've done as far as I could reach I don't know if you can even tell but it's basically where the mold isn't unfortunately it hasn't gone away uh if anything you might have got a little bit worse got like drips literally running from the light socket it's it's just found over the course to run and it's along the the probably the trunking for the for the light

hello it's the next day and I think I've had a bit of a breakthrough or a block up which is better so the first thing is we've got a second tower here we can choose right above my head this is how big it looks like now it is a beast and it was not easy to put up it's terrifying being up there I'll take you up there in a moment the other breakthrough was this this is terrible I know I have professional people watching these videos why they want to look out DIY videos after a hard day at work I don't know but it's really good to see you thanks for your comments I got some regular filler it's just some exterior filler and I put it into these gaps where the brick meets the the wall kind of Curves off kind of tapers and the the rain runs down here and what I think's been happening and I think the solution is I just put regular filler in and it was really big storm last night and so you can see that the fillers basically been washed out but crucially I didn't get any water inside the house yesterday the patch is dry so I think this might be the solution I think the whole thing is to just fill up these holes that little Gap there this is just right above where the leak is I think it's just this little Gap here where we rain falls off gathers here I think specifically it's here and then runs to behind the wall I'm at the top of the tower now and this is the crack this is what I thought was giving it a problem but there's no problem there it's completely sealed up and I've painted over it this there and so the painting that I did the other day is good I don't think this is a problem I think the problem is the water running down there and hitting a brick and going inside the wall what am I doing up here but I want to get down I really want to get down I'm just going to paint that little crack there I'm not that comfortable up this High I don't think so I'm at the top here at the very top of the roof and I can't believe I can't believe I'm here filming this to my phone that's why it's shaking I think there's like a stabilization in there so good to see it go and finally one last little job let's have a look at it so I filled this up with filler and um I don't think that's right even though it's external filler so I've got a tube of pointing mortar these are the three holes where the damage all the damage has been made inside of this one this one or this one and I'm just going to fill it with water I've only got one hand so let's put the camera down but I'm going to fill these with more to now I've got a little squeeze into the hole and then I'll finish it off with uh with my trowel which is actually a wallpaper scraper but I'll just push that into the hole and hopefully this is it this is the end of the water running into our house [Music] I did it I think it's done I think it's finally done I think this is finally water tight [Music] it is exactly two weeks later let's go over to the wall and see the damage we've had some really heavy rain oh it's Christmas by the way but we've had some really heavy rain and I'm hoping it comes across on camera quite how dry this is now let me just give it a Rob look all the damp has gone and the plaster has completely dried out and on the original video it didn't show this but the The Damp was trickling down here as well and where it's dried out all the paint is now flaking off which is a it's a really good sign that it's now completely bone dry so there there and down here as well I guess I'll have to paint over what's there once it's completely completely dried out AKA put the job off for another another two months except the exact same problem is happening over here and that's on a whole other video but I've sorted out one of the two leaking problems I am calling this a dad delivers success yes thank you for being awesome and hitting thumbs up button and even the Subscribe button really helps me and right here is another video that YouTube knows you're gonna love

Previous post...
Finishing L Shape kitchen bench SELF BUILD!


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!