Monday 25 September 2023

Making our hallway WARMER for winter



GET STICK-ON WINDOW INSULATION here to keep your windows warm! (Amazon paid links)

HELLO! ANOTHER DIY home improvement video around the house: this time some entrance hallway ideas... Or one idea. Our walls get really cold, so been dreaming of this idea to panel the walls with MDF, so they aren't super cold and grow mould underneath the coats on hooks.

Can I get the MDF panelling cut to size and put up on the walls?? Will they fit above and below the dado rail?  How many coats can we get up there??? 

Making our hallway WARMER for winter!



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!
oh oh no just hit that
I'm taking a chunk out of the... I'll have to fix...
hello I'm Neil, welcome back to the channel this is the dad delivers Vlog where I try new things to make your family happy and oh today I'm trying to make the family happy by making them warmer... come closer 
I've got uh... I've been putting this off for two years 
I've got this really lunatic idea and I'm not sure how it's gonna work or if it's going to work but let's... let's just do it and see what happens
we're gonna make the hallway warm for this winter 
wherever you're watching this around the world you would have seen the headlines you know how energy prices are going up
it's funny but the standing charge has also gone up by a lot which has got nothing to do with wholesale Energy prices it's... it's almost as if the whole system is skewed against us but I'm going to change that with nine millimetres of MDF and I'm going to do it here so this is... Welcome to our hallway 
this wall is really cold it's really super cold and we need some coat hooks up on it but the trouble is when we put coats on the wall this is what happens 
I've got some coat hooks down here almost to... to demonstrate 
it's not so bad now but this gets really mouldy
the cold air would come in through the door but it also would hit this wall which is a really super cold and then moisture would build up and it would basically just... just go mouldy and black
we even had to remove the wallpaper because it got so bad so this is the plan because it flash forwards to some of the steps ahead 
I've got some MDF and the plan is to put the MDF up on the wall to keep the wall warm 
sorry, there's a bit of noise in the background because my son's doing some baking so sorry about the the drilling noises
let's get started 
first thing I need to do is to measure around the... well, the bit of wall that I want to cover which is fairly straightforward but I want to keep it above this dado rail 
can you see it's like this bulky rail in the middle here so I'm going to have one piece of MDF sitting on top of that
the other problem that I've got is that I have to get around these bits of wall
the wall isn't even and I've got this nice kind of wooden... I don't know what you'd call it... architrave? 
basically where the door meets the wall it's got some nice curly bits in which means I've got to cut exactly around those and then it's off to our favourite place, B&Q the DIY Superstore 
uh this is this is us on a nicer day than today and we went looking for the perfect piece of wood 
now probably I know... I know what you're saying: why don't you put plasterboard up? 
but I can't plaster the whole wall and I don't really want to do the entire you know... all the way up the stairs as well
B&Q have got me covered it seems this MDF 
I've gone for the 9mm thick version I went to my favourite part of the store 
It's featured on this channel I think for the fourth time now the uh the B&Q cutting service uh gave the the guy the... the exact dimensions that I wanted to the millimetre 
I'm not sure how that's going to work out because the walls aren't straight and the measurement on one side isn't the same on the other but I've given it my best shot and here they are cutting up all the bits of wood that we need
happily it's all here in the hallway 
I've had this idea for about two years I don't know how it's going to go 
the first thing that I need to do which is I... I think it's quite hard is that I've got to measure these weird wobbly bits and I've got to kind of draw them onto the MDF 
now I've got a tool that can help... help me draw odd corners 
Aww copyright music - quick! run very quickly we've got Radio 2 playing 
let's have a look in the garage
I've got this tool that is used for measuring flooring - it's to measure odd bits around flooring 
I think it's in this box I'm going to reach in and see if I can get it ah yes 
now it's this thing here and look if you hold it up against the irregular surface it kind of measures it for you
you can draw... you can use it 
I think it's supposed to be for flooring to get you around with bits of skirting and door frames
whoa that didn't sound good 
time to run through the copyright music playing in the background 
oh [Music] next I'll clear the area out and you can't see it down here look 
I've got all these coats to get rid of so I'll just move them to over here 
let's get the coat hooks off
this is a sad time because these are our only coat hooks in the hallway - once these are gone I've got to go through with this plan and get lots more coat hooks up
next I'll cover the table in the dog blanket to stop the MDF from getting wet
now I'm just laying out the wood and measuring up the big chunk that I need to cut out but let's go indoors now for the... the tricky part - so I've got my weird shape measuring tool and I'm just going to push it in just to get this shape for the curve that I need to cut in
that's as far in as it will go - now I can use this on the MDF and use it to cut the right shape
now I'm using the jigsaw to knock out the bit that I think will be missing and this is a bit of a guess because it's all based on my rough drawing 
but before I can put it up I need to clear this area here 
I've made a whole video about this bus blind
I'll put it on screen now and in the description 
it is very dear to me this was the bus that I used to get to school sometimes uh I don't know why I've got it in the hallway but I just like it
Moment of Truth here we go I'll just hold it up here - slide it in and that bottom doesn't work
it's going to be messy but I'm going to... I'm going to cut a piece off here and hope that I don't ruin it 
let's lift it into place and see what happens
it's hitting the dado rail at the bottom but I think this is going to work
I'm going to take off a few millimetres at the bottom which is a shame because that's the straightest stage and the one that you see 
I - N - E - it's never easy
I probably need a straighter line to cut on this one so I've taken the wood outside
I'm going to do it on the table - this could go very wrong
let's slide it in - oh yes that's it... it fits - I'm calling this a Dad delivers... not yet, not yet 
we'll hold with the success what I need to do now is to somehow fix it to the wall 
I'm doing that by marking in the corners maybe one in the middle just to keep it flush with the wall 
this might involve a lot of drilling but I'm drilling holes - kind of pilot holes for where I want the screws to go
I don't want them too close to the edge because they'll split the MDF
hopefully I've got six clean marks - yes - new drill bit
the masonry drill bit, I hope this works

I think I'm going to use my corded drill because it might just give me just that bit more power and I'll put in a rawlplug as well oh please go in please go in yes 
this wired hammer drill has just a bit more oomph than my battery power drill 
it feels like a bit of a luxury having two drills and I actually preferred the battery one because it's more portable but sometimes you need just a bit more muscle to get through these really old hard walls 
in goes the last wall plug oh I've just done the last one I knew it! 
let's try this time - boom - there you go
tricky part, I've got to make sure that the screws line up with all of those holes
[Music] 
oh oh no just hit that I'm taking a chunk out of the... I'll have to fix that next! 
Moment of Truth now I'm going to screw the board onto the wall 
I'm gonna find the screw holes and just fingers crossed the screws make the the wall plugs in the right place
it works it works! 
it's not a dad delivers success though I've got a small problem 
I don't know whether to let it go what do you think - what would you do - leave me a comment or a thumbs up if you reach this point
so the whole idea was that it would be countersunk so that has gone in that's great and I can cover that with filler and it'll be invisible 
this one is almost flush, won't go any further
this one is just sticking out I... I can't let that lie, and it's the most prominent one as well
I think ah it's always that time of the DIY isn't it?
the perfectionism 
It... but it's okay as it is
what should I do? 
I'm gonna do it 
I have this special drill bit that it kind of drills a little bit of a hole in the... the... the base of the thing so that the screw head goes underneath the surface 
it gives it a little bit of a dig
take this screw out 
and now I'll get the drill bit with the countersink here 
oh I hope this doesn't ruin it
I mean really I should have done this before I put it on the wall there we go you can see there's like a little Groove there and then put the screw back in here we go
[Music] 
did it
I am really happy with this it... it might not look like much but to me this is warmth
this means there won't be any mould here so I don't know if you can see that the... all the screws are now countersunk after I threw a tizz and redid them, but now I'm going to get the bus blind back into position 
I think I need to readjust the screws for that to work and then work out how I do the coat hooks 
I'm drawing a line where I want the middle of the coat hooks to be so I'm now using a wooden drill bit - the thinnest wooden drill bit that I've got to Mark out the holes for the hooks 
I think this is going to work and now that means I can just screw the coat hooks into place using those pilot holes
they seem to be going in really easily yeah let me try this let me go click click click this is one more click that's how it's done

[Music]

oh no no the drill bit snapped! oh no oh this could be really really bad 
I mean I've spaced them out perfectly so if I can't put a screw in there I can't have them in this Arrangement I've got to get that drill bit out 
oh I knew there's something to go wrong 
these are the pliers that I'm going to use and it's why I wear the glasses as well anyway let's see if these work
Please, please, please work yes

I got it okay uh what am I gonna use now I'm going to use what I probably should have used in the first place which is a... a masonry bit which is a bit stronger but these snap all the time as well 
[Music]
It's done! 
okay this is so satisfying for the first time in a long time we've finally got some coat hooks 
not just coat hooks but we've got two rows and that means there's a hook for each of us and this second row could be there for bags and dog leads and who knows what else 
but hopefully the wall of coats and clinging to two or three hooks is over 
they've got somewhere here in the hallway
that was a pretty good day 
it took a day but it was worth it
can you please help my daddy get 10000 subscribers 
just click on his face thanks bye! Alright this is gonna be the proper one right?

Previous post...
Epic hack for my teen's IKEA bed: cool LIGHT SWITCH in headboard!


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!