Saturday 23 September 2023

How to clean washing machine filter or clothes dryer filters



Here's how we clean our washing machine and tumble dryer filters.
I'm sure your washer and dryer are different makes but hope the principles are the same to help you get yours emptied before it seizes up!
I force our washing machine filter open to rinse it out and as a bonus move over to the tumble dryer fluff filter and condenser.

BUY A WASHING MACHINE HERE!
(I earn from qualifying purchases)

BUY A TUMBLE DRYER or CLOTHES DRYER! 

How to SAVE YOUR WASHING MACHINE and TUMBLE DRYER! Clean the filters!



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

...do this. Have I got any Curry on my face?
[No, you don’t!] 
Hello I'm Neil, this is the dad delivers Vlog where I try something new every day - every video - to try and make your family happy. 
This is a dull one, you're gonna help me with this aren't you? 
Because this is a job that I've put off for years. 
Basically that I do the jobs that you and I are putting off around the house, so that you can live vicariously through my sometimes occasionally doing stuff... is this... 
It's down here, so the first thing we've got to do is clear the washing. 
Obviously we're not going to do the washing! 
I want to get to that flap down there. 
Alright so we need uh we need a tray for this. 
What we're going to do, we are going to empty the filter. We'll clean the filter for the washing machine. 
I need a tray. 
Why are we doing it? Because if it gets blocked up we'll have to call the washing machine engineer man but it could be any gender but it is usually a man who comes around.
So I put the tray down: this is to stop any leaks. 
Can I, can I show you how to do it because... ow! Yeah you might need to do this one day. 
We might need to avoid this job one day. 
In the future they won't have this. 
Well this is true. In the... in the Elon Musk future with Tesla Cars and things.
Right so can you push it up so it really does go across the front? 
Right the first thing we need to do is can you work out how to get the flap... oh you know how to do it?! 
Well done, oh wow! Well you did that really quickly! 
So you just pull the thing down, let it drain out. 
Obviously your washing machine is going to be different from ours but this will show you the basic principles of how to clean a filter and it might inspire you to have a go. 
Okay, that looks... that looks right so now can you work out a way to open that so that it comes out? 
What do you mean? 
Well you either close it up and turn it anti-clockwise or you turn it anti-clockwise like that. 
Right so I think if you do this... this might be a short video. 
Why don’t you just rip it off and see what happens? 
Oh maybe -- hey that's not a bad idea! 
I told you. 
Good idea, right okay, but I'm not sure... but I'm not sure what we want to do is turn it so it comes out. 
I'll do it with force okay here we go... Use two hands...
Can you do me a favour? Can you take this tray away? I'll hold the camera because that might give me a little bit more room. 
Please don't... please don't tip it on my head! 
I'll hold it, you stand up. 
One-handedly is kind of a risk...
Yeah okay yeah but oh no! 
I... we can't let it go... let go let go let go... you can't let it go in the big box of washing powder. 
Yeah you're good? 
Yeah I'll ruin it... they'll ruin it... in it... don't do it over the powder... 
I almost just spilled it down your back and the dogs at the door. 
We should have poured this into a container instead... 
oh that would be yeah... get a bowl
Good work son! Right I've made a complete mess here though.
Maybe if I use a cloth?
I can't turn it! Can I stop recording anymore? 
Yeah yeah go on yeah... it's too hard isn't it? 
You could turn it - there's an arrow yeah, so turn it this way and it's clockwise yeah? 
If not I'll just give up and then we'll just get a new washing machine. 
Okay Joe what I've done... I've pushed that arm back in and I'm going to push in... oh no as well as turning it... to turn it... oh my goodness... it's so stiff, alright here comes... it is moving...
Do you want to try? Hang on I'll just do one more bit. There we go, right here it comes, here it comes. We’re gonna make sure we've got the tray back because it will flood out again. 
It’s gonna blow! 
Here we go, I've not done this in five years. 
You’re supposed to do it every like three months. Here we go, here we go... oh that's grinding... 
This is why... here it comes... 
And then nothing comes out. Just a big smell. 
Here we go right so this is five years worth of stuff from our washing machine. 
Five years, there we go, here we go. 
Right so use the arm and, you know, I got to the point where I didn't care if it broke, but it didn’t.
Here it comes.
Oh do yours now. Don't do what we've done. 
Yeah do it right now... don't do it yeah... watch our video like subscribe and do it now. 
Oh thanks yeah I always forget to say if you've reached this point hit a thumbs up because that cheers us up doesn't it? Yeah.
You just have to pull it. You’re twisting it a lot.
I am, I am, you’re right.
Hooray!  Ugghghhh...
Oh look - there’s a leaf!
What do you think we’ve got inside?
I’m blaming Mum.
So there’s a leaf, which is quite fresh! Do you think it's kept alive? 
Yeah. There’s a plaster. 
We found a new preserver! 
A plaster -- and there's some disgusting Gunk uh what else? 
I'd love to clean that I think... Just rinse it under the tap. 
Wait let me Zoom inside. 
Come on how low can you get in there? Or can you push the camera in? 
There we go. Oh, well done. 
So that's what it looks like. 
Yeah, we got good light. That's what it looks like -- so I think I'm gonna have to put my hand in aren’t I? It’s all dirty!
Dirty!
Right should I put my hand in? 
Yeah -- you could be a normal person and get a tissue and um paper towel. 
What um -- but you're a dirty Daddy -- but this is why -- this is why it wouldn't turn look it's crusted up! 
That's why I couldn't turn it. 
Flick it in your face! Wow yeah I'm gonna need a butter knife or something. 
I thought there'd be more in there so that's good but yeah it's all encrusted around here and that's... that's why it didn't turn. I need a brush I think. 
I’ve got an old toothbrush - well I hope it's old - and I'm gonna just scrape this.
It's got right into the thread... it's been really gunked up...
I am really just over the moon delighted that we've managed to... to turn it and get the the filter lid open because if you can't get that open it's... it's bad news you're gonna have to start looking up YouTube videos on how to put your washing machine on its back... and unscrew pumps and clips and everything... but uh we've just about caught it just in time so five years! 
I don't know how it's lasted five years I'm quite impressed and what is that leaf and then the plaster? They look quite fresh don't they? 
Let's do the washing that I'm avoiding and then give this a rinse 
There's some chunks in here that you can probably come out. 
The stuff that got caught in the thread, which stopped it turning round was I think it's just limescale. 
Time to slot it in, there's a bonus coming up - stay watching because there's now a bonus that I'm gonna try and give to you, but just turn that in and it's just so much easier to turn in now. 
Okay that's in.
Done! Now onto a bonus one over here. 
If you are lucky enough to have a tumble dryer whacking up those energy bills, then we need to do exactly the same thing over here. 
There's the really obvious filter in the bottom of the door that will catch fire if you never empty it and it's... it's really satisfying getting this one clean. 
I don't know what's wrong with me but I've always wanted to use this stuff that comes out the filter to make new clothes. 
One day, in Elon musk's dystopian future, but there's another hidden filter that we hardly ever look at. 
I'm hoping this will be slightly easier because I've done this before. 
I haven't left it quite so long but it's been a while. 
Let's get the camera closer on this one. 
We've got two latches so pull that one up, that one down, and now it says what...
“Clean the condenser after 30 use” 
Yeah that's... that's not happened. Oh look, so this is the filter or the condenser filter for the whole tumble dryer. Let's pull this out we're going to take this over to the sink. 
What I'm doing here is just pouring water down one side through the filter - it's called a condenser I think - but it's just to loosen up all the fluff and Gunk that's built up inside this over the years. 
And look at the torrents of filth pouring out from the bottom. 
Oh it's disgusting. It's just hair and fluff and Gunk that's built up over a long time. I'm trying to get the water in at different angles just to loosen up between all of the vents in here. 
And you can just see how much is... is pouring out. I'm not putting my hands in because these metal grilles are really sharp. I'm flipping the condenser onto its side and washing some... some water in from the sides as well being careful - really careful not to touch these metal grills because they are super sharp. 
And even here look, you can see even more stuff is coming out. Let's just take off these final bits by hand, but you know the sharp bits are there so be careful and you can see just how much has come out. These are sticking on because of the hair. 
I might even use the toothbrush for this just to see if there's any more stuff that will come out from the inside. Uh disgusting it doesn't have to be super clean I don't think. It's just washing out the build up, is all you're supposed to do.
Oh man and look how much is left in the sink. Just to show you how much went in there. That's quite a lot of stuff for just a little thing isn't it? Now we can put the whole thing back into the tumble dryer. We'll just push it into place. Line it up. Slide it in and don't forget to lock it and thank you so much if you're kind enough to hit the thumbs up button and really appreciate it. 


Previous post...
18 thrilling ideas for budget low cost family day out trip to London


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!