Friday 29 September 2023

Finishing L Shape kitchen bench SELF BUILD!



It's the FINAL part of my vlogmas how to build an L-shaped bench for the kitchen. Please let it be the last part.
Cleaning off some mould, fixing on the bench side panels with brackets from Amazon, cutting a hole and fitting a double power socket, sewing and upholstering the bench cushions and varnishing the plywood. If you're looking for an L shape dining table seat or chair as a kitchen or living room idea, this might help avoid some mistakes in advance!

BUY STERILIZING FLUID HERE! 
(As Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases)
BUY BLACK FLAT PLATE BRACKETS HERE!
BUY WOOD FILLER HERE!

HOW TO BUILD AN L-SHAPE BENCH (part 1):
PART 2 BUILDING MY L-SHAPED BENCH:

Finishing off our kitchen L-shaped bench... VLOGMAS!



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!
Hello welcome back to the channel
This is the dad delivers Vlog where we try new things to make your family happy and it's usually quite a difficult task that isn't it? 
But today I'm going to be finishing off one job
I've got so many jobs to finish but this is the L-shaped bench
this is an L-shaped bench day and this is vlogmas so yeah we've got some nice snow happening in the background to make us feel all vlogmasy 
But vlogmas hasn't been going well
The idea of vlogmas is to put out a video every day in the run-up to Christmas and I've been... I've been filming every day like a good ‘un and the problem with my channel is that the jobs that I've been doing haven't been finished so I've not been able to release a video
I've got half finished jobs all over the house so we've got insulation for the windows that's going to happen next to get rid of the the cling film 
I've got the the hooks back up but that was a wall of mould so I'm editing that video now so today the one I'm going to finish off is the big one it's down here 
it's the L-shaped bench - the famous L-shaped bench 
let's have a Flash Forward montage and I'm hoping that you're currently seeing me screwing together the sides of the L-shaped bench
I'm hoping there's going to be some varnishing maybe some filling some holes on the side of the bench 
looks nice and Christmas in here but this is going to be a wreck area 
let's move the kitchen table back with all the stuff on it 
let's move that back to reveal where I'm at with the L-shaped bench project and it's not looking quite as good as I'd left it in the other videos
because I don't know if you remember... I started off with building a frame for the L-shaped bench just using stud work and made up a design so that these flat boards could go on the top and that would be our L-shaped bench in the corner 
then the... the... on the last video the... the next stage was to put sides onto the L-shaped bench and I managed to get these bits of plywood
cut them to size and put them on but I had a real problem putting them on with the brackets that I had 
I just had any old brackets and it's sort of okay but they're not bolted on properly 
what I'm hoping to do today - it is three o'clock I want to get this done by five o'clock uh we'll see how that goes but we've got a few jobs to do on this to finish it off 
so since we last saw the L-shaped bench on the video we've had these made! 
my Unstoppable amazing wife built these
I took an Ikea mattress for my son's bed that was from another video - the teen Bed video - and I cut up... well I had to measure the mattress to size which was really difficult because it's... it's squeezy and squashy so you can't really get an accurate measurement on it but I tried anyway and measured it out and then here's some footage of me using a saw I think
I used a saw to cut them up 
this was in sunnier times - it seemed so long ago now but I cut the two bits of mattress into these two seats so then the next difficult bit was to get some kind of cover onto them 
and the way my amazing Unstoppable wife managed to do that was to get our Ikea sewing machine which is useless
it's brand new and it just didn't... it just couldn't cope with this fabric at all so it was a really long job to measure it up, cut it out and then somehow sew the pieces together
it turns out because we love this fabric but it turns out that it's quite thick and the sewing machine couldn't cope so we had to get these special like denim needles - the bigass needles that could cope better with the fabric 
anyway managed to get them together and the... the pads look amazing 
followed some instructions on... there's some useful YouTube videos out there 
I also want to fill these holes and somehow family proof it because already look all our heels... oh hello Casper! hello!
um our feet and heels and dust and mess and food are going all over them so I want to find a way of protecting them 
oh one more big job I've got to somehow get power out because we've got two power points that are blocked in by the L-shaped bench so I'm going to somehow bring power to the outside 
yeah that's a 2 hour job isn't it?!
this is absolutely disgusting - have a look at this - so ah, I just left the board on loose at the back and it's warped 
but because it's the coolest part of the room look at it! 
it's just revolting - the mould - we have got mould everywhere in this house! 
look at it! just disgusting so now I've got to clean the board 
I'm hoping if I varnish it then we won't have this kind of a problem but oh my goodGod this is a toxic health hazard
I have put a face mask on now because the spores just go everywhere and look at it
it's just covered in mould 
I use this Milton sterilizing fluid - you know the stuff that you use when the kids were were babies 
this stuff - I don't know if it's the right stuff for mould but every time I've used this and I've cleaned a lot of mould from the house recently
it has not come back when I've used Milton sterilizing fluid on the patch of mould so I'm now oh my goodness just getting it everywhere 
but I'm just getting it on the cloth... on the board trying to remove as much mould as possible without disturbing it too much and watching it go poof into the air 
the little black clouds of mould spores
this is death liquid to the mould 
if you know a better way of removing mould then please leave it in the comments below but this stuff has just been perfect for the mould that I've wanted to eradicate 
I've got a second board behind the other L-shaped bench 
I don't think I can use this it's just too small but I better clean the mould off before I put it in the garage or something
and while the benches are out we're going to take this opportunity to swap this really expensive power socket for this one! 
a white one - I’m hoping we'll be able to use the silver one on the outside later on 
I'll just do this now just that I've got it
[MUSIC] 
the next thing that I'm going to do is put wood filler into these screw holes 
I've got this stuff off Amazon and I'll just scrape it on 
and if I do it now hopefully it will dry before I put the varnish on 
so here I am spreading it in and just using the the trowel - the wallpaper scraper - to keep it off off the edge of the holes
I'm only doing it on the screw holes that you can see on the outside I won't bother doing the ones behind because you know I'm a Craftsman 
and now something I've wanted to do since the last video 
I'm now using these really nice brackets that I got from Amazon 
I'm just using them to make the panels on the side lie a bit more flush with the stud 
it's really difficult getting the power tools in between the stud work to try and get them in but these are much easier to do than the L-shaped brackets that I was trying to do last time 
so I think they're going to look really good as well 
even though you can't see them on the inside
this is a really dicey moment now I'm trying to fit the power socket onto the end of the shorter bench and to do that ah I took so long to fit these exactly
the first step is to measure out the power socket and to try to centre it
and it's difficult to judge because I've got a lot of stuff at the back of the socket that needs to be accommodated by this hole 
so the hole can't be too big otherwise there'll be a gap and it'll fall through 
and it can't be too small because it needs to be big enough to accommodate all the socketry at the back of the socket so I'm taking it my best guess with my pencil measuring it out 
and now the scary scary bit
I'm drilling holes in the edges of where I think the cutout's going to go
and once I've drilled these holes through I've then got a space for the jigsaw blade to get in and I can now carve out this middle 
this is too late now this is either it, or very much not it 
but I'm going to cut out this centre section here and hope that the double power socket fits 
it goes through and yes!
it fits it's a perfect fit 
it looks like it can sit on there
I’ll have a box behind it as well and hopefully that will grip and hold the power socket in place
it's time to sand down the the filler now 
it's not quite dry but I'll just take off the big bumps and edges just to flatten it down a bit and get ready for the next step that's coming
and now what do you think leave a comment below 
I've got to coat these with something to protect it from our... you know our boots just kicking up against it when we're sitting down there
do I use protective oil or do I use wood varnish ah!
I don't know why I'd much prefer to oil these 
I'm going to have to go with the varnish because of the scuff marks 
it just feels like this is more of a protective seal 
I'm going to Varnish them and we'll just see how we'll go with that 
this now is the job that I'm absolutely dreading
yep it's starting to Varnish and I have never varnished before in my life
I'm reading the instructions I know I've got to do two to three coats and I've got to leave an hour between each coat 
and I'm also painting with the grain rather than Against the Grain even though it's plywood 
it's really hard work because it's... the benches are filthy and I've cleaned them as best as I can 
I don't think it's good enough so I keep picking up fluff but I'm managing to to get the varnish on without making too much of a state of it
I'm doing the obvious bits that you can see, and the obvious bits that’ll get kicked by our shoes while we're sitting on the L-shaped bench 
but I'm also now thinking well maybe I should be doing the backs because if I do the back of the bench, then it won't get wet and it won't get mouldy 
so now I'm painting inside and I honestly thought I could do the whole bench with one tin and look I've used the whole lot so I've put a second and third coat on the really obvious bits that you can see
oh and I forgot! I forgot to paint the the stuff that we sit on
the two Furniture panels that I cut to sit on, which is the actual top part of the bench
yeah I've got to do a good job with these because these benches take a bit of a pounding from our delicate behinds 
have a look at this! it's now 11 o'clock - five to eleven - the whole family have gone to bed 
I've been doing this for eight hours or... I had something to eat and I had to recharge the camera a couple of times but I've been at this for eight hours 
but it's okay because I've got everything varnished 
I've even managed to fit properly a nice box and a little extension lead for the power sockets 
what I'm going to do now - let’s speed this up - I’m going to reassemble the boxes... the two benches I'm gonna bring them together and I've also got to find a way of kind of bolting them together
I thought I could keep them loose but over time they just drift apart
they're like tectonic plates - they want to make their own way!
I think I've figured out a way to fix them together and I'm just going to Loosely screw them together just so they hold hold tight and don't drift across the kitchen while we sit on them
I'm calling this a Dad delivers success! 
let me leave you with some beauty shots
I'll try and shoot it from as many angles but I think this is pretty much the end of the L-shaped bench project 
I am really pleased with how these have turned out
it just looks really inviting it's covered by the table so you never get to see the work that went into this 
the hours... but I think we've we've managed to make some storage and make a nice soft area for the corner of the room
I have no idea what we're going to do about the mould
I think we're gonna have to get some kind of dehumidifier for the kitchen or something
anyway if you've got any comments... are you having a go at this?
please leave a comment and... and don't forget the previous two videos are down in the description - if you've got to this point thank you for being so awesome by hitting that thumbs up button or even the Subscribe button and right here is what YouTube thinks you want to be watching next! can you please help my daddy get 10000 subscribers just click on his face thanks bye! Alright this is going to be the proper one right?


Previous post...
London day trip to see Christmas lights at night in Oxford Street


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!