Tuesday 19 September 2023

Best IKEA standing desk TROTTEN review



This video is an unboxing and assembly of the IKEA TROTTEN adjustable standing desk, PLUS 2 years on review! I bought this sit/stand desk from IKEA exactly 2 years ago and I share all the pros and cons from using it daily. I can easily adjust the height of the desk between 70 and 120 cm by just cranking the handle to get the best position for both sitting and standing... I went for a beige desktop which apparently is kind to your eyes since it makes the contrasts between the screen and tabletop softer... and it's comfortable for left- and right-handers, as the crank handle can be mounted on the left or right side. And it has adjustable feet make the desk stand steady also on uneven floors. I tried fitting casters, which sort of works but it does raise the desk height to a little too high even for me.

BUY STANDING DESK ON AMAZON 
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
LARGE CASTER WHEELS - 3 INCH - TO FIT THE IKEA TROTTEN DESK:
SMALL CASTER WHEELS - 2 INCH/50MM - TO FIT THE IKEA TROTTEN DESK:
ADJUSTABLE FLOATING MONITOR ARM: 
USB DESK HUB:




TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

Hello, welcome back to the Happy Hut. I'm Neil, and this video is all about this! 
It's my battlestation. It's an Ikea Trotten standing desk. There's a mechanical winding handle so you can adjust the height to sit like a normal desk or raise it to standing level. When I bought it, Ikea called it Skasta, but now they've renamed it Trotten to fit in with their other desk range. All through this video, I've replaced the word Skasta with Trotten and I've dubbed it really badly. I've had this for two years now, and I'm sharing all the things that I love about it. But let me show you how you assemble this standing desk. 
Hello, welcome back to the Happy Hut.
It is a very exciting day today, and these beauties from Ikea are the subjects of this video. So if you're looking up standing desks or specifically the Trotten mechanical standing desk, I'm going to be putting this up in real-time. In there, should we go in? Basically, I'm going to show you how it's put together, plus I'm going to be hacking my Trotten standing desk with these!
I'm going to try and put wheels onto my Trotten desk to see if I can move it around the Happy Hut here. And I'm going to be fitting this bit of electronic genius to the tabletop. I'm going to drill into it. I'm going to actually... Oh my goodness, I'm going to put this cable connection and embed it into my Trotten desktop and see if I can do that without completely destroying the desk. So wish me luck. 
Let me show you the desk that I'm replacing first. This is obviously an Ikea classic tabletop. It's the white Linnmon, the absolute cheapest desktop you can get from Ikea. I've rather fetchingly spray-repainted it grey, and I actually like the chips that have fallen off over the years. I think it gives it a bit of character. It's also got an Ikea story to tell because right above my head is this Svensas padded... well, I guess you'd call it an index board or a pinboard. I didn't fit it to the ceiling quite strongly enough, and it fell in the night one night, thankfully when I wasn't there, and made this massive dent in the... Can you imagine the weight of it to cause that kind of damage? But I've kept that as well as yet more character. But it's time to get the Trotten standing desk unpacked and ready. But to do that, I've got to clear this first. So quick-time sequence montage. I'll just speed this up. Yeah, let's just clear with it. I've got a monitor stand. I've got to get that off and clear the top, and we'll just clear the area there. 
So now I guess the first thing I need to do is to open up the base. The base box. Base. How low can you go! With the winding mechanism.
So just... oh, ouch, open up that. And we need to put together the middle section, which I think is this bit here. We've obviously got the Ikea bag of nuts. It's the bag of nuts moment that I have in every one of my videos. IKEA gives you, in its infinite... uh, generosity, it gives you an Allen key and an Allen key holder. We're going to do this eight times.
[Music] 
Next, we get these pads that come in the Allen key bag, and we're going to put these four pads on to here, which I guess will make it soft for where it meets the tabletop. 
Then we bolt these really big arms... oh my goodness, that's so heavy. And we are going to bolt them to the beam that we've just built here. Problem number two, like an idiot, I put this on completely the wrong way around. It should be the other way around. I've done this completely wrong. It should be this way around with the lid... with the lid on top like that. This bit is really difficult. The trouble with this part is that they have to go in at the exact angle, and so if you keep them loose and don't tighten up... once... ah, and don't tighten up one side. Now we turn this upside down and put the things on the sides that will hold the table.
[Music] 
And now the legs. Finally, we can put these on. Here's one leg, and I think they go with these holes facing up. And then the bolts can go into the legs. It’s a bit tricky finding them, the holes, and we are doing this eight times. 
Now this is a really big moment. Let's see if this works. I want to put wheels on my desk so I can wheel it around, and I thought, well, maybe I should try putting the wheels on right now because it'll be easier to do it now than when I've got the tabletop on it. So fingers crossed. I'll go to my second camera. So I'll put the details of the fittings in the description. I think this is an M8, and it's this long, so the hope is that it will fit this hole here where Ikea have supplied kind of plastic feet.
I think this might actually work. So what I'll do is I'll put all four casters on, and we won't find out until I turn the desk over. The feet that come with the Trotten standing desk look like this, so if you're not going for the caster approach and going through it out of the box, these don't come with it. I bought those; the link is in the description below.
Oh, look at this. The end of this pole goes into this hole that has this hole here. There isn't one of those holes on that side. So, absolutely, this part of the pole needs to go in here, and then squeeze it in because it just slides in like that. Now I want the handle to be on this side, I think because I'm right-handed, that kind of feels right. So I'm going to twist the Trotten standing desk around so that I can put the handle in there. Now it's time to open this bad boy, the tabletop. Let's open it very carefully. 
[MUSIC]
So we've got the base flipped over now, and then you just line it up with the holes which are pre-drilled, and then we'll screw the base to the tabletop. And the final part of the puzzle, obviously, is the crucial what makes this Trotten adjustable standing desk - it's the winding handle, the precious winding handle. 
Crowd sound effects!
So now I have to... oh no, it's the wrong way round. Oh no, what I’ve done. That's the crucial hole for winding the desk, and it should have been on this side where the hand winder will go. So I've got to unscrew everything now and turn it around.
[Music] 
Great, so now I have the hole on the right-hand side, which is on the left-hand side, but you know it's the correct side. And then I need to push it in so far that it brings the handle all the way up to the clip here that holds it in place. Over here, on the other side, we'll put a washer on, and then we need to fix something onto the end to stop it being pulled out. And that's what this thing does. So I think all I need to do now is to put this on the end and to screw it. That'll stop the handle being pulled out all the way.
Big, big moment now where we put the desk up, and we'll see what it looks like.
Oh, this feels good. 
And this right now is what it looks like. Behold!
I'm not sure it's coming across on screen how magnificent this looks. What I really like about this setup because of the casters is that I can move it around and have it as a standing desk for making my YouTube videos. 
But big moment of truth, this is the important thing. Find the - oh no! It’s the wrong way round! The thing with the casters is that I haven’t factored this in - is that it actually makes the desk very tall for its normal position. I probably should have got wheels that are slightly smaller because I think this might be a little high.
But the whole point of this and the whole reason you’re watching this video is the crank handle, right? So let’s get the crank handle out. Just pulls out like this. It’s a really smooth action. The desk goes up - I can't even say it I'm too excited for words. Oh my goodness oh this feels so good! This feels absolutely perfect so all I need to do now is to fit my monitor stand onto it which I'm sure will make it really super heavy but let's take it down again in quick time!
That's the bottom I'll just tuck that in so I'm just going to I'm going to turn my back to you for a moment, forgive me. 
Yeah it's... it's too high! I-- it does need to come down and I've got the chair at its highest setting so if you were curious about putting casters onto the Trotten standing desk I think you might want to double check how big you... you want those wheels to be. 
I went for the biggest wheels I could, because I wanted it to move smoothly and not trip up but having the wheels to be this large makes the desk just a tiny bit too high. 
That was two years ago - I haven't aged a bit, have I! 
Let me give you a review now of what this Ikea Trotten desk is like to work with: 
I absolutely love it.
I have added this adjustable monitor arm stand there's a link down in the description and I've slung my PC computer underneath and that can go up and down up and down with the standing desktop.
But the biggest hack is this! 
It's a USB hub where I can plug in my headphones, memory cards, or USB devices. To get this on here, I had to drill a massive hole into the desk, and I absolutely had to get it right the first time. 
Drilling into a brand new desk!
Luckily, I did get it right, and I think this looks really epic. I don't regret drilling into the desk, and I use it every day. The way that I have this set up is that I have my camera mounted on the wall, and this is my position for all my YouTube videos. When I want to raise the desk, everything - all the cables - rise with the desk, which is really useful. It's a shame I had to lose the caster wheels I added, but it is really easy to slide the Trotten desk into any position that I need. And for two years of daily use, I think the surface of the desktop is still pretty smart and pristine. I thought that I would want the electric motor, and I couldn't really afford that at the time, but I really don't think that I need an electric motor for this desk. And that's not me putting a brave face on it. Would you want an electric motor on your standing desk? Leave me a message down below in the comments. I actually like the exercise and the mind break to wind it up and down by hand. It's never been a problem, and it only goes as fast as an electric motor would anyway. Thank you for helping me with a thumbs up or hitting the subscribe button. It really helps me to keep this channel going. And right here is how the USB hub works with any desk.
Can you please help my dad get to 1 million subscribers? Just click on his face. Thanks, bye. Can we have dinner now?

PINK FOOTBALL BOOTS
Hello, welcome back to the channel. This seems like a Daft video to make, but I can't find pink football boots for my daughter. Can't find them anywhere in any of the regular sports stores here in the UK. So I've gone nuts on Amazon, and I've bought three random pairs of pink football boots, and I'm gonna unbox them for you right here, right now in real time. And then maybe I'll get my daughter to choose the pink football boots she wants.

Now, I've got to stress at this point, this is her choice. This is nothing to do with me. I need to make this clear because there are people in the world tweeting things like this, where pink football boots are seen as some kind of thing that women should not be wearing because I don't know, it's reinforcing some stereotypes. But here's the thing, my daughter likes pink and she wants some pink football boots. She plays football every Saturday and she's really good. She plays for the town's football team. She's... she's really good. Not that ability should come into this, but she just wants some pink football boots. I don't think that's unreasonable.

But Adidas and Nike and Sports Direct and JD Sports and all the other companies that seem to profit from kids playing sports, they don't want to go anywhere near pink football boots. So their range is... it's... they're really super clear about this, that they keep saying it's unisex. They're all unisex. But it just so happens that the unisex designs are all a bit, how can I put it, appealing to perhaps people born biologically as boys. And obviously to even hint that a girl might want pink football boots, it would just make everyone's head explode.

So I couldn't find them in the shops, which is a shame because that's where you can try on the football boots and see if it's the right size, the right shape. Amazon has come to the rescue for me. I've just gone on a shopping spree. I love the word spree. The word spree is either linked to something really terrible or shopping. I don't think it's an unreasonable request from my football-playing daughter to have pink boots. I mean, look, this is the England International Football squad , the women's football team. I see pink boots. I also see a really big pink shirt there as well. You're not supposed to do that. Who's going to tell Lauren James that she shouldn't be wearing pink boots? Not me. I support your choice. And I'm trying to help out my daughter with her choice.

It was footy pops, it was for a cartoon about puppies, and a female character just happened to be wearing pink boots. But my football-playing daughter likes pink boots. So what's the problem with her right to choose pink boots? Makes no sense. 
People just like to argue. Anyway, so I've got... I've got three choices here. Let me open them up quickly. Now I'm going to try and put these down in the description. But obviously, where you're watching this and you're watching this in the future, you might not be able to access these exact boots. So I'll put a generic search, it's the exact same search that I did to throw up these boots. And I'll also... I'll put links to these specific boots just in case they are available.

So we've got three choices. Now, one comes in a box, that's good. One comes in a bag, that's reassuring. I want a pair of these. And then there's finally this anonymous bag. Should we open it? This is where Amazon absolutely trounces JD Sports and Sports Direct. Why don't you do pink football boots? First up in the box. Let's open the box first because they're all mysterious. Oh, these look nice.

So these are the Dream Pairs football boots. I'm hoping this is size five. Now I can't really commentate on these. Football commentary would be good, wouldn't it? Let me just show you the studs. The studs aren't removable, but it claims to have a supportive heel and breathable mesh lining, and high grip TPU cleats. But I mean, they're just... they're just moulded with a durable textured upper and lace-up closure. I like... I like the lace-up. They do feel really cheap, which they are. I think it's just one notch over on the cheapness, even for my keenness to save a dollar or two. But I love how they've come in the box. So I'm gonna put them back carefully because we're going to be sending back two of these. And if you want to see how to send something back to Amazon, I've got you covered. I've got this video here all about how Amazon returns works.
 
Let's go with football boots pair number two. Now personally, obviously these football boots are not for me, but I like this colour the best. I want trainers like this. These are LEOCI, is that how you pronounce it? LEOCI kids soccer shoes in pink and black. Obviously, we call it football over here. Um, what's interesting is that both the last pair and this pair have these weird kind of nails or the kind of stud things there, and on the heel there. I don't know what that does. I really, really. I know it's not for me. I really like the colour of these, and I love that the studs, the studs are just moulded into the base. Anyway, but I love how they're black. I think they're really stylish, and they feel a bit thicker than the last pair, you know, the material on the side that is a definite contender for the cup.
The third pair, they don't come in a box or a bag, they just come in some bubble wrap, so they've probably been worn before, tried on which is understandable. These are LDTSUP... No SUP. LDTSUP. Kids soccer boots, and there's an even more intricate design with the studs here. So I like the studs, and I like how it's kind of pink and white, that looks good. Not that they’re for me again, I have to keep emphasizing this. It's got ZUQIU Sports, that kind of well-known brand on the side. So I'm not sure what the LDTSup is all about. Pink laces. But to me, I mean, these look like um, Slazenger martial arts shoes with studs on it's that kind of. So it's not they're not breathable. Um, but the flare on the side is textured, which is a nice touch, so there's some careful design here, and I love the stitching on the back. There's like extra padding on the back which might, I think, seal the deal, although all of them have it. But they don't actually have an entire panel on the back here on the heel. It says it's a soft fabric, a delicate foot feel. It's a nice kind of padding inside there. 
The other claim of LDTSup is a unique stud design, wear-resistant and non-slip. Whereas these studs are smooth on the bottom, these studs do have a grip on them. So there's like a lattice design or a little, little mini studs on the studs which would help when you're walking on the tarmac, running across the car park late with the kickoff 20 minutes to go. Oh my goodness, can I just say if you've got kids who play football, I feel for you. Yeah, I... I hate it. I am to drag out on a Saturday morning just to watch overweight men yelling at their daughters “down the line! Down the line!” I don't even know what 'down the line' means, but I've heard it a billion times on the few matches that I've been lucky enough to... well, I've gone to nearly all of them. Got the season coming up now, so this is er... pretty urgent.

Which one do you think, before she chooses? Which one do you think she's going to go for? Do you think she's going to go for pink and purple? I'm going to call this one candy pink or the Slazenger sort of the white gym shoe look. So just looking at them, which pair do you like best? Number two? I don't know. I really like the colour. Just works so well, just a really nice colour. Yeah, I saw that. So this one, and it's also a blend of light black and pink, yeah, right, so you're kind of badass, badass with a flash of pink. Oh, second is probably the white and pink one. I like, I like the football logo. There's like a little image of a football, a fire, and football sort of on the side. And then I really like the mix of these colours, they work really well together, and then the silver, and then like the bottom is just really pretty. So the um, is so you're a fan of the... can you pronounce that? ZUQUI Sports. It's a ZUQUI sport, came second, and then number one came last. Yeah, so the purple, purple diamond ones last. I think I... I they do look nice, but I think they're just a bit too much. Yeah, a little bit too busy, like my favourite ones, they're like nice, sort of, and simple. A bit much, and these are all just like different colours  and different shapes, and then it's a bit mad. Yeah, a little bit. And for all of them, you've not actually said anything about the studs. Oh yeah, well, like they're all plastic, aren't they? Yeah, this one is also a bit plain because it's just like this bit's really, like you said, busy, and then this bit's all plain, it's just plain pink because I said people saying that girls shouldn't have pink boots, you know. Oh, you're just giving pink boots because they're girls, that's why we can't find any in the shop. Yeah, and when they do, they mostly do unisex, like when we went this weekend football shopping, yeah, as they are all basically unisex, but like they... they weren't any pink. Yeah, a bit like, what do you think unisex actually means, that boys and girls can both wear it? But like if they can both wear it, then why can't the boys wear pink? Sort of annoying. So it is anti-women! It is quite stereotypical because like it's sort of like girls can't play football, boys can't like pink, we've only got like... right, yeah, Nike, Adidas, JD Sports, Sports Direct, oh, I get it. So are these keepers then? Yeah, I like these ones. Yeah, I don't know, they're a bit flashy with the blue and yellow. Yeah, they do clash. They do clash a bit.

They look a bit weird, but yeah, but you know that's why they're distinctive, I guess. 
I am calling this a dad delivers. 
Fail! 
No, it's a success! 
How?! Definitely success, 
yeah, lots of money. You like one, not just one but two pairs of pink boots, and I didn't think we could find one pair of pink boots. 
If this video helps at all, thank you for hitting the thumbs up and the Subscribe button. It really helps us to keep this thing going, and right here is what YouTube knows that you are going to love watching next. You can do the thing that we do at the end of every video. Can you, please help my dad get... 10? Oh, what is it? 100 thousand. 100,000? Can you please help my dad get a hundred thousand subscribers? Just click on his face. Thanks, bye. Okay, I'm gonna hang up now.


Previous post...
Best pink football boots soccer shoes for girls on Amazon


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!