Sunday 24 September 2023

How we treat mould in our hallway



Finished putting up the MDF in our hallway to made our house warmer... and even blocked up our letterbox. Then the mould came back. Pretty instantly. Biggest mistake was not painting it. 

So time to take down the coat hooks and panels, paint the sections individually and see if they will go back into the screw holes. 
This is a dicey operation because the screws and panels have to go back pretty accurately... 

HOW WE MADE OUR HALLWAY WARMER:

The mould is back in our hallway!



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

hello welcome back to the dad delivers Vlog where we try new things to make your family happy and today our Calamity something has gone very very wrong with our hallway it's a Saturday morning a family or in various rooms watching various platforms but I'm stuck in the hallway to look at this now this doesn't look like much because I've just spent about 20 minutes cleaning mould off the walls with this about a month ago I released this video where I spent a very very long time trying to make this hallway warmer by putting up sheets of MDF onto the cold walls and I thought that if I covered the walls with MDF it would make the walls warmer and so condensation wouldn't hit the walls and become mouldy that's that's what I thought a very kind viewer left me this comment to say that's great but don't forget MDF acts like a complete sponge you're gonna have to paint it to avoid it getting moldy and I really appreciated the comments and I knew I'd get around to it but Manana Manana I just didn't think it was that urgent and within about two weeks this happened it is about two or three weeks after I put up the panels and look look what's happened the worst the absolute worst that could have happened has happened oh let's put a light on it ah so we had some coats and bags hung up here and this is what happened it's just disgusting this is mould right in the corner and on the side there hi Casper and a little bit of mold up in that corner the whole lower wall just turned into a wall of mold look at it just green furry the exact opposite of what I wanted to happen happened and also what was really confusing was that there used to be well there is a letter box there and I thought that's where the cold air was coming in so I've blocked it up thinking that will stop the cold draft as well as insulating the walls just didn't work at all maybe it's because it's the hallway it's just that corner of the house doesn't have much air circulation certainly doesn't get any heat and oh it's just revolting let's take off all the coat hooks now I'm just gonna oh it took so long to line these up so hopefully getting them on a second time won't be quite so bad I managed to get eight coat hooks up so down come the eight coat hooks and before I take off this board of MDF I've got what six screws to take off I'm going to Future proof this now over here I've got to stop this boing boing so I'm going to drill a pilot hole through the MDF and into the walls so that when the MDF comes off the wall I'll be able to drill a seventh hole it took me a very long time to line up all of these screws and get them in at the at the right angle all six of them in exactly the right place and like I say I literally have no idea that I'll ever be able to get this board back on into place again if it is it's curtains well not curtains but no MDF I think I'm gonna have to go to B&Q and buy a brand new board and start again here I am painting the panels of MDF in just a regular Emulsion it's the uh it's the color of the rest of the walls I have no idea whatsoever if this will actually waterproof the boards and stop the mould from growing again or stop the boards from soaking up moisture which will then grow the mould but I'm doing it anyway because I haven't got anything else that I can do this is my only last ditch option and it might very well not work what's frustrating with this is that I've got to do two coats and even then I don't know if it's going to protect the boards from what I need to protect it from I'm going to take down the other ones now look this is literally in the last week look what happens it's grown back so I'm going to wipe this off with more yet more sterilizing fluid and then I need to take these off and get them painted so here's the mould on the other side of the of the board look at it ah it's even worse than it was before [Music]

and then difficult step two is that I've got to put them back up on the walls but I've got to find the exact spot with the with the screws which is it's got to be really precise and it is really difficult finding the holes because they can Wiggle from left to right I have no leeway either way with this there we go they're all up my goodness that was my worst bit I mean basically DIY is just covering up stuff isn't it it's just getting stuff to cover up other stuff in your home this probably shows how big the problem I've got look at this look how rusted it is look that's how much water has happened it just in the last few weeks the completely rusted these were brand new so I'm gonna put the the super Rusty ones on the bottom row I'll put the nice ones at the top the ones we can actually see and I'll just screw these in they just they're just being held up by the MDF the screws sort of going through to the wall a little bit but just enough to hold the hooks up at least I've got guide holes this time round I'm not having to measure it all out and plan it all out it really is just putting the hooks back on the wall I am calling this that Dad delivers success whoa is this something you would attempt is there anything you're doing in your hallway I'd love to know leave me a comment down below and right here is some other stuff that I've done and probably what happens next can you please help my daddy get 10000 subscribers just click on his face thanks bye all right this is gonna be the proper one right?


Previous post...
How to clean washing machine filter or clothes dryer filters


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!