Tuesday 20 February 2024

What YouTube plans NEXT... and WHAT it means for us...



These are the 4 BIG BETS from YouTube CEO Neal Mohan... but what do they mean for you and me as YouTube Creators? I go through each of the 4 bets to see how they might affect our YouTube Channel and what we can do in the coming months. 

What YouTube plans NEXT... and WHAT it means for us...



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!
hello welcome back to the channel I don't usually cover YouTube news but this article this article could mean big things for YouTube creators like you and me it's in c21 media and the headline is Youtube CEO says next Frontier is living room subscriptions 
I thought I'd go through YouTube's four big bets on what's coming next by the way my name is Neil Mossey I help high achieving creators and performers just like you high five and I think YouTube's four big bets have an impact on what we do here on YouTube 
let me show you the article I've got it on my uh on my phone here this is YouTube's CEO Neal Mohan fantastic name I'm not sure about the spelling but anyway YouTube's chief executive Neal Mohan says YouTube's next Frontier is the living room and subscriptions 
I'll just scroll down here and it's in a a blog post 
when I started at YouTube people thought about content from major Studios and content from creators is entirely different but today that Stark divide is gone viewers want everything in one place from a live sports game to the BBC and Khan Academy and Nikkietutorials 
now I I thought that shout out to the BBC it it seems random but nothing's random is it with uh uh PR and comms so I wonder if that's YouTube wooing the BBC 
they're watching YouTube the way we used to sit down together for traditional TV shows that's true on the big screen in the home with friends and family 
now all of this comes from an official YouTube blog post let's click on the the link here 
here this is YouTube's official blog
I love it when something says we're official 
uh and it's a letter from the CEO a letter from the Youtube CEO four big bets for 2024 
yes it might be 2024 but blogs are still a thing they're still going! 
I'll put a link to this blog down in the description 
let's go through the four big bets it it's funny cuz the blog post starts with since the very first upload do you know what the first upload on YouTube was a quick pop quiz 
yep it's the guy at San Diego Zoo he's still there wow 308 million views 
anyway let's go back to the blog and we'll go down to the first big bet 
oh just before we go to the first big bet look at this in this paragraph here let see if I can make it bigger and we've hit a new Milestone today more than 3 million channels are in the YouTube partner program
you know YouTube Partner program is where you get money from YouTube from AdSense and this figure they don't mention the figure very often the last time they mentioned this figure was 2 million creators 
so 3 million creators get money for their YouTube videos 
now let's just think about that for a moment because you might be trying to get monetized become monetized it feels like a mountain and it feels like hundreds of thousands of people have done it before you they have
but 3 million doesn't seem like a very big number if you consider how many billions of hours are uploaded to YouTube to think that in the entire world on the entire planet only 3 million people are getting money from YouTube for their YouTube videos it’s... it's tiny in my head 3 million is nothing compared with the number of viewers 
so if you are trying to become monetized take heart that it is such a small number of people who've achieved that and done the paperwork and signed up for AdSense and been approved 
I hope this helps keep you going three there are only three million channels let not even creators 3 million channels
now I've got two channels monetized so we're not even talking about 3 million people
that's incredible anyway I hope that hope that keeps you going but that's not the first big bet
the first big bet is this AI will Empower human creativity
we're approaching advances in AI with the same mission that launched YouTube years ago
we want to help everyone create 
AI should Empower human creativity not replace it
everyone should have access to tools 
let's think about this for a moment
that's very reassuring to hear that but I think he needs to say it because if we think about it AI can generate right now text music sound sounds and images without breaking a a sweat
my question as a Creator is surely YouTube will get to the stage where YouTube can make its own videos and tailor each one to each viewer 
it's making backgrounds at the moment
when is YouTube going to start creating AI generated foregrounds
it's not such a huge leap it it does mean that YouTube would be able to not just generate one video but it could tailor through AI it could tailor a video to each and every viewer
each viewer could get a bespoke AI generated video and as a Creator obviously I can't do that but YouTube can do it 
I was talking to someone this week at funnily enough at the BBC and he suggested that maybe being a Creator or an influencer isn't a long-term job 
I'm not so sure that uh being being a Creator or influencer is a long-term job surely we'll get to the point where instead of offering the Right video to each viewer YouTube will have the ability to create the Right video for each viewer
let me know in the comments if you think I'm wrong 
I... I think we've only got a few more years of this of you and me making videos or or maybe there'll be a middle tier created by AI
you know so instead of crafting the perfect how-to video you could just create a person that it knows that you know, enjoy watching 
so maybe you want to watch someone who's female who's I don't know uh got red hair and Boston accent and maybe you want to be shown how to fix a toilet with a backdrop of Niagara Falls 
but whatever's going on in the foreground can also be generated 
it's nice to see in a blog that's the that YouTube respects creators and wants to create AI tools to help creators but I don't think we're that far away where AI becomes the Creator 
and I I... it only hit me this week that's where I wanted to make this video so it just amused me that I hadn't even considered that
anyway YouTube's next big bet is number two 
creators should be recognized as Next Generation Studios 
so the YouTube Chief Executive recognizes that YouTube helps creators be entrepreneurs 
I... I can't help noticing this is number two after generative Ai! 
and he says we we'll help policy makers and partners across the industry see the economic and entertainment value that creators bring to the table 
being a Creator is a full-time job with an international audience but most governments don't account for creators in their labor data
we believe creators should be recognized for their work and creators at the top of their game should be acknowledged in key industry forums 
so uh let the creators or meat packages make inroads with the governments and uh I I guess then once that's happened then the AI can just take over I guess? 
I have nothing but love and gratitude for being able to express myself here on YouTube 
it's fantastic it's absolutely brilliant and that that I get paid for it as well that I get money for it is insane 
we're living in really really exciting times but I can see what's what's on the horizon we can all see what's on the horizon and it’s... it's closer than we think I think that AI can just do its thing and generate so much more video than than I can 
so it's not Bleak I don't I don't feel down about it I... 
I feel energized by it and I'm sure there will be opportunities for people like you and me to find a niche that the machines won't just take over
this next big bet for YouTube is really interesting and if it were me obviously I'm not chief executive of uh of YouTube 
If I Were I'd have rolled out the thumbnail testing by now I still haven't got that 
the number three big bet I...
I would have put this at number one 
YouTube's next Frontier is the living room and subscriptions 
viewers want everything in one place from a live sports game to the BBC to KhanAcademy and Nikkietutorials I haven't seen Nikkietutorials I'll have a look at that and they're watching YouTube the way we used to sit down together for traditional TV shows it's I find it very very interesting that they mention the BBC here because broadcasters like BBC CBC ABC Australia they have a huge choice right now as they turn off the transmitters 
you know those those transmitters we've had since the 1920s they're being turned off and every everything is... I was going to hold up a ethernet cable everything is now going to be piped to us and the big dilemma for these Legacy broadcasters is: do they jump into YouTube TV and use YouTube as a platform to broadcast what was broadcasting
thankfully not a dilemma for you and me 
it's not something that us mere creators need to worry about but I've noticed this in my home 
I don't know if you've you have this but we watch shows on Netflix and Prime separately and it's really rare and really difficult to find a show that actually brings us together as a family so we're all off you know my daughter's upstairs now watching sister sister on on a tablet my son's watching the phone my lovely wife is watching Bosch in the living room 
with YouTube we do show YouTube videos to each other on the big TV it's uh it's it's like this weird show and tell where um my lovely wife will show me a video about you know a tiny house video or architectural digest
and um me and the kids would sit down and watch a Mr Beast video uh or a Linus Tech tips so it's really funny that we we're completely isolated from each other with Netflix and Prime but with YouTube we're we... we sample each other's videos and I don't I don't know if it's because the videos are so short compared with you know 45 minute episode of Bosch
or whether it's because that the videos are so Niche that it's actually really interesting just to have a little taste of of something else and and have that little family experience
I don't know if we're weird let me know in the comments if that's something that might be happening in your home 
but there's something so specific about YouTube that means we curate in a different way to wading through all the menus on Netflix prime or or Apple TV if you're lucky to have that 
my takeaway as a Creator is that I release all my videos as 4K videos to Future proof them 
it's an experiment but it is very interesting to see that the big TV experience is now a focus after the total Destruction of the swiping YouTube shorts on a minuscule screen 
Maybe YouTube is realizing that there is more money to be made in getting a reaction bigger than this
this is the biggest reaction to a short on on YouTube shorts is is this
this is the biggest reaction 
if it's on the TV it's going to have more impact and maybe there's more money in that 
let's go down to YouTube's big bet number four
protecting the Creator economy is foundational 
yeah up until the point where when AI can just do it for everyone instead 
it is really good to hear this as a YouTube Creator 
and I don't think I'm alone I feel like YouTube can just shut me down like that instantly 
YouTube can crush me like an ant
my channels can be terminated with immediate effect and with no recourse whatsoever so it is good to hear some reassurance in here that we're worth something financially to the platform at the moment 
but I am very aware Eyes Wide Open that it is a machine learning platform 
this data is going to be used to generate videos
why wouldn't it 
and at the moment we have ai to make backgrounds
is it really a stretch to have ai make the foregrounds too and to personalize those videos for every viewer 
so these are the four bets
I... I... I... I like these four bets more than a little sobering for next year and maybe the year after but what do you think you know that I love hearing from you thank you for hitting for hitting this part of the video for reaching this part of the video and thank you for hitting the thumbs up or the Subscribe button 
it really helps me out and helps me to run this channel 
I try out experiments here on YouTube so that you can try them on your channel and right here is what YouTube knows you are going to love watching next 
I don't think AI could do that outro!



Previous post...
HOW TO SEARCH YOUTUBE COMMENTS and activity log history


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!