Friday 19 March 2021

NEW YouTube TAX form for non-US creators? Agh! How to fill it in?



YouTube announces taking US tax from your US views channel payments, if you haven't completed the Withholding Tax form on Google Adsense.
If you live in the UK or a country with a tax treaty with the US, filling in this form NOW could mean that your withholding tax is reduced to 0% so that you are not taxed twice for the same payments.

If you don't complete this form, Google will automatically take 24% from your US payments (adsense, superchat etc etc) - which could be a lot of money and mean that you are taxed twice.

So, as a non-US creator, I walk you through the questions on Google Adsense. 
Do I even need to say this? Please don't ask me any questions.
I'm not an accountant, or a tax adviser and I don't know your tax situation.  

I'm so sorry but I've got enough things on Netflix I am avoiding - I can't be responsible for your payments.
I do hope this sneak preview of the process helps you get started though.

YOUTUBE TAX FOR NON-US CREATORS HELP ARTICLE
STEP BY STEP TAX FORM YOUTUBE VIDEO TUTORIAL

NEW YouTube TAX form for non-US creators? Agh! How to fill it in?



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

so you are a YouTuber a YouTube creator who lives and works outside the US 
I haven't seen many videos about this 
you've probably seen all the warning signs saying you've got to fill in your tax details 
you've got to declare yourself to the IRS 
the sun has come out just at this exact moment just to emphasize I'm not... I'm not an accountant or a tax advisor 
I just wanted to make a video showing you the process that you might face when filling in your US tax information into Google Adsense for your YouTube channel 
I'm only going to show you some of the questions that come up just so you can prepare and get ready to fill it in yourself 
in the description I'll put a help article and a help video as well that YouTube have issued 
all I hope is that seeing what's ahead is useful to you but I'm very aware that if you get this wrong you could lose quite a lot of money 
the place that I'm using to go through all of this is this YouTube help article and there are step-by-step instructions here so we're going to hit sign in for my Adsense account 
this is what my Google Adsense dashboard looks like 
the next thing we need to do is to click on this menu in the top left hand corner and go down to payments 
you can see I've already got a nice friendly red bar 
it's always a good sign isn't it when your account has a big red banner 
now I could click on that button now that would take me straight there but I'm going to show you the way just in case you don't have that banner 
we're going to go down to settings and click on manage settings and then on this page 
there's a little pen icon next to the words United States Tax Info 
so I'll click on that and then click on manage tax info 
that takes you to this page which only has one entry at the time that I'm doing this 
who knows, this might be populated by more countries in the future but it's labelled United States Tax Info and we will click on this button here: add tax info 
now I've had to reconfirm my Google login 
the first question is what type of accounts do you have? 
individual or an entity - or non-individual? 
the next question down is are you a citizen or resident of the United States 
the final question on this page is select your w8 tax form type so that's if you are an individual or a business entity 
Now you can drink your week apple drink now or save it for later 
to tax identity: make sure this information is exactly the same as on your tax documents and that the form is signed by an authorized representative of this legal entity 
now on the individual tax form it asks for your taxpayer identification number (TIN) 
seek some advice 
then you have to put in your permanent home address... 
this is going to be fun for all of those vloggers from vans 
then it asks you this question under tax treaty: 
are you claiming a reduced rate of withholding under a tax treaty?
again I'm sorry this is so boring but you've got to seek your own advice I can't help you with this 
the next section is document preview where Adsense will show you a preview of how your tax document will look before it's issued and then the next friendly fun-filled section is certification 
basically it's a signed declaration where you get to sign the form electronically and then the final section is activities and services performed in US and affidavit where you're asked if you've performed any activities and services for Google within the US 
and then hit submit and now you get the swirling loading... wheel of doom 
now obviously I'd love to show you all my personal details but I've blurred them out just to say that you are told instantly whether or not it has been approved or not so that's good 
and if you need to change any details there's a submit new form button so you can change if your circumstances change or if you see that there are any errors 
I can only hope that showing you the questions that come up help you prepare for filling in your own form with your own correct details but good luck us.. non-US YouTube creators 
so if I can continue to help you by by showing you what's ahead then why not click the subscribe button and it's on screen now and thanks for coming along this journey with me


Previous post...
Did YouTube just destroy Amazon Affiliate marketing on YouTube?


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!