Tuesday 10 October 2023

FIXED Flashing Red Orange Light on my Macbook Pro! (magsafe 2 charger)



How to fix the flashing red or orange light on a Macbook Pro charger: Magsafe 2 charging cable, M1 or M2.
My Magsafe2 charger lead started flashing red for my 2021 Apple Macbook Pro 14" M1, and I thought the worst had happened. I checked the magsafe cord, the metal magnetic connector to make sure the connection is okay, and tried changing the power management settings. Finally I bought a 'new' (second hand) Apple Macbook charger and it worked instantly: there was no problem with my apple laptop, just the faulty charger.
Hope this helps you get to fix the flashing red light charger problem on your Macbook.

Buy MACBOOK PRO M1 67W MAGSAFE 2 CHARGER here:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

FIXED Flashing Red/Orange Light on my Macbook Pro! (magsafe 2 charger)



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!
Hello! I'm Neil, welcome back to the channel, and this is a really quick video about something that's really super specific involving this MacBook Pro M1 laptop and this MagSafe 2 charger not working.
When you plug in the charger to the MacBook Pro, you get this flashing red light on the charger, and it's really alarming because nothing seems to work. And I think I have some really good news for you, and it's a really simple and obvious fix, but it involves spending money, so let me explain the problem just so you can make sure that you've got a similar thing going on and rule out some other things that we need to check first.
This is my Apple MacBook Pro 14-inch M1. I'm plugging it in to demonstrate that it won't charge. And I... I was completely convinced that my MacBook Pro was dead. I think the battery is empty, but I'm worried that my MacBook was completely bricked, and I'll tell you why in a minute. If this is happening for you, and there is some charge left in the battery, apparently, this flashing red light means that the charger is plugged in, but the laptop's not charging up. So you might... you can see that the battery's not charging. My laptop was completely run down, so the only thing I could do was to just leave this charger plugged in with it flashing red, but I left it for a few hours, and it still didn't charge up. I tried the advice online, and I'll put the link to this Apple support page down in the description.
One piece of advice was to reset the MacBook power management system or system management controller. I couldn't do that because my MacBook was dead, it's run down, and it just wouldn't start, so I couldn't even begin with that solution. The other things to check are obviously that the port is clean. I mean, this is really obvious stuff. This is the MagSafe 2 port on the MacBook Pro M1, and sometimes if you have little metal filings or splinters that stop the MagSafe 2 charger lead connecting fully, it can hold the pins apart, and that might stop the charging. But that didn't explain the flashing red; there seemed to be a really good connection.
Obviously, the other thing you can check is the cable, to check that the charger cable is clean and there's no metal debris there, and the pins bounce up and down. Mine were completely fine, so I was absolutely convinced that my MacBook Pro was bricked, that was it.
I had good reason to think this because a few weeks earlier, I had knocked an entire pint of apple juice over it, over the keyboard. Look, I think I've got some footage of the aftermath, I'm not a happy bunny there at all. I dried it out completely, even though, as you know, the MacBook Pro just starts if you touch it or look at it funny, it just springs to life. So I think Apple do that deliberately so that you can't shut the thing down and not touch it and clean the keyboard. And this was a couple of months before, so someone kindly suggested that maybe something had corroded inside the MacBook.
I tried my sister's MacBook Air charger; that didn't work. Then I saw a video where someone tried a different power supply, so they used the same cable but didn't use this charger, and it worked! I don't have another power supply, so I ordered another MagSafe 2 charger. It was pretty expensive, but it was second hand. It's a completely official Apple product, but I thought, well, once I get the MacBook repaired, then it will be a good idea to have two chargers. So the charger arrived, and I plugged it in, and this happened. I actually filmed it on my phone at the time.
So I plugged in the new charger. New charger? It was a secondhand one that I bought, and I've plugged it in, and it started flashing, and I thought, well, that's the MacBook then. But look, solid red, it's fixed. So it was a faulty charger, which is pretty disgusting, Apple. Well, I thought, well, that's great. So that means I've been sold a dud charger, brand new, this charger worked, my original charger stopped working. This must be faulty. I checked it, I checked all the connections, you know this thing comes off, you know THIS thing comes off, I checked all of that out, and it just carried on flashing red.
But I won't get too annoyed because there's a twist in this tale. Now I've made this video, I'll leave, by the way, I'll leave a link in the description to a brand new charger, but I got mine from CeX secondhand. I just assumed that my original charger is dead or bust or, you know, faulty in some way. But 2 months on, I'm making this video, and I'm just planning it all out. I plug this in, this is the MagSafe 2 charger that wasn't working, and now look, look at this. The little blighter, plug it in, it is charging completely normally, it has completely come back to life, the flashing red light has stopped.
I don't... I don't know what to tell you. I don't know what has caused this. I've been using this solidly now daily. I haven't had any issues whatsoever. It just feels like the whole thing was reset by using a different charger. Links are in the description. If you have the flashing red light and you're thinking, maybe should I spend that much money on another charger? I say go for it. I think it's worth it. If you want to get this repaired anyway, it's much better to rule out the charger brick being a problem than the laptop.
The great thing about this though, hopefully, fingers crossed, your MacBook Pro is okay. And I'm really glad that we've met, and if this video is helping, thank you so much for hitting the thumbs up or the Subscribe button. It'd be really great to have you around for some other videos, and right here is what YouTube knows that you are going to love watching next.

Previous post...
How to turn OFF annoying Google Assistant voice on your phone


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!