Tuesday 28 July 2020

I QUIT YOUTUBE! Gordon Laing: GREAT BRITISH YOUTUBERS with Neil Mossey PODCAST 005

 

"I QUIT YOUTUBE!" - it's something we've all heard, but is it true? 
And how do you keep going? 
Gordon Laing has 160k subscribers and, incredibly, uploading to YouTube since 2006. 

 I'm a Development Producer helping as many people as possible get ideas out of their heads to make more people happy. I created GREAT BRITISH YOUTUBERS to help you get started and keep your YouTube channel going. 
 
I QUIT YOUTUBE! Gordon Laing: GREAT BRITISH YOUTUBERS with Neil Mossey PODCAST 005



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

I quit!
And if this were a youtube video... I should have made a video about it!
And you would do "I" and in capital letters QUIT. QUIT.
Why I quit 
I've seen videos where people say "why I quit" and they didn't even quit.
It's they-- they talked about why they might quit or why somebody like them might have quitted or why they thought about quitting but they didn't quit!
[MUSIC]

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

Are there things Gordon Laing that other youtubers do that you don't think that you would ever or you tend not to do?
Unboxing.

First of all, as a word I hate that word. Unboxing.
How can you-- that's like... I, now tell you what.
This goes back to that song "unbreak my heart" which at the time I thought that's not even a word!
How do you mean "unbreak my heart"?
How about "make me feel better"? 
"Cheer me up please"? 

Unbreak my heart?
Unbox my camera!

And that is why I gave up youtube for three years which is, which really confused the algorithm, because I was pouring my heart into these technical reviews, right?

And testing every aspect of a camera, and trying to get that across to people... and then some kid doing an unboxing video gets more views and all he's done is filmed him opening a box. 
He doesn't even test the camera or turn it on.

He just opens the box and they were getting more views.
And I was bewildered by this. 

I just couldn't understand why this was more popular and it put me off so much I thought this- this- I kind of came to terms that, that's what people wanted to see or that's what people wanted to watch on that platform and that I wasn't right for that platform.
I was just some crusty old dinosaur.

So I gave up and I went back to purely written content for three years.
It didn't close the channel obviously I left it there because it was hosting my videos that were also part of my written content, but I got a right strop over and it was unboxing that did it and I still to this day would not-- 

Now I, I love opening boxes and some of the packaging and some things you know apple products and or some high-end consumer products - it's nice.
It's nice packaging they put some thought into it, it's cool but, I guess what they're doing is a review of the packaging if i look at it that way then it's more acceptable to me.

I think it might just be the word unbox that I have a thing about.
YOU'VE done an unboxing video.
Oh yeah, I've done lots.

I unboxed a chinese takeaway uh from, from Waitrose.
You unboxed one of my t-shirts!
I did!
In a blatant attempt to get some coverage from someone else.
It was, it was to test what merch is like!
Of course it was.
But it did have the benefit of, of plugging you to my 12 subscribers at the time, that then went down to 10.

It didn't, and it didn't um get culled in the video featured by BBC news at 6pm on BBC One.

What is the hardest part of running a youtube channel?

I think the expectations that you have for its performance not being met.
And feeling disheartened by the fact that you've put this work into something that you think should be doing better and it doesn't.

It's what affects artists of all, you know, Van Gogh was frustrated that he wasn't getting enough attention.
We're all the same.

I'm not the same as Van Gogh, obviously but everyone is- everyone thinks they're better than they are maybe or that they're not being recognised for something, um frustrated that yeah, maybe I'm not as good as I think I am, or that I do-- you know that you want the videos to do better you think they deserve better and they're not doing as well as you think.

And then you see someone else who's done the similar videos, similar subjects and theirs is doing way better than yours and you think that's just not fair.
Why is that doing better than mine?

And then you look at it and you beat yourself up over, you know, is it, is it your presentation?
Is it the thing they covered?
Is it you know, is it because they've somehow got more followers?

So they get you know they've been recommended more?
You don't know what it is, but it's- that's probably the hardest thing for me of all and um you've got to kind of stop looking at it.

Stop looking at like, well you can't help it you do look at the number of views you've had, and it does you know, if you consistently get poor views and you're seeing other people doing way better than you it can put you off long term, and it did put me off.

Like I said I quit.
I quit!
And if this were a youtube video... I should have made a video about it!

And you would do "I" and in capital letters QUIT. QUIT.
Why I quit. 

I've seen videos where people say "why I quit" and they didn't even quit.
It's they-- they talked about why they might quit or why somebody like them might have quitted or why they thought about quitting but they didn't quit!

I have however started to use capitals in some of my titles, to shout.
To shout for that last bit of attention.
Please watch or I'll quit!

Gordon Laing from cameralabs thank you so much, you've been so generous with your time and literally your gigabytes because I think you know we're going to have to stitch this together now which is going to involve a massive transfer.

This video will never see the light of day because we won't be able to get the file to you.

It's true and then zoom will delete it, but before we go can you pick a favorite video idea that you haven't yet made?
Unboxing. 
And you would like to make one?

I think I should.
What if it does really well?
Maybe they should all be unboxing from now on.
Who doesn't like origami?

Boxes are nice and they've put me in a box, you see they pigeonholed me in the box so why don't I talk about boxes?
That will show them.
Could the grand reveal... "REVEALED" in capitals.
WHY I QUIT UNBOXING!

This is gold.
If you reach it to end this video this, this is the gold!
This is what you pay for!

Uh Gordon thanks so much.
You're very welcome, thank you for having me.
Should we just sit here awkwardly in this two shot? And--
How are you gonna do this? 

Are you gonna?
No.
This isn't cinematic enough! 
Let's do it in WIDESCREEN!

Like in ABBA the movie, do you remember that? 
Let's do it in widescreen!

And please hit the subscribe button if you want to see more Great British YouTubers.
There's a playlist and a podcast. All the details and links are in the description.
I'm Neil Mossey and I'll see you on the very next episode of Great British YouTubers.
[Music]

Do you want a series of reactions now?
Did you used to have to do that?
On the TV they used to ask me to do that, they'd go "can you do one more?" 
You go...

They say no, now sarcastic.
Disagree.
Incredulous.
Angry.

Those are all thumbnail pictures as well!
That's-- I know! That's what you do at the end of the video.
You record your thumbnail, but I want some text and so you have to position yourself to one side... so you can put the text here...
Why I quit unboxing! 
Oh my goodness.

Previous post...
BEST TRAVEL HAIRDRYER? For bald man? BABYLISS TRAVEL PRO review unboxing first impressions


All about me, and getting these by email.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Try my previous book!

(UK) (US)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!