Thursday 28 May 2020

OLD vs NEW: URBANEARS PLATTAN 2 two years on, headphones review!



I bought the URBANEARS PLATTAN 2 - two years ago... Here's what they look like 2 years on! Also, what they look like against a brand new pair of dark grey Urbanears Plattan 2.
Buy them here! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. AMAZON (US) https://amzn.to/2CTYJUL
AMAZON (UK) https://amzn.to/2HG4FpY

These are the cabled, wired, corded version of the Plattan 2 - the old pair are Indigo and the new pair is Dark Grey.

My original Urbanears Plattan 2 Unboxing and Review video is here: https://youtu.be/F0H4OxR7Ghg

How to remove ear pads Urbanears Plattan 2 Headphones - to clean or replace: https://youtu.be/6SJ8utDUCRk


OLD vs NEW: URBANEARS PLATTAN 2 two years on, headphones review!



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)
[Music]
Hello welcome back to the Happy Hut, I'm Neil and usually this is the Tightwad Dad Vlog.
It's a place where we try to be happy with what we've already got, but today that's really true...
I'm gonna be really happy with what I've already got because I've got these!

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

These are the Urbanears Plattan 2 headphones
They are all over the earph-- I can't hear.
They're an all-over ear headphone that you can even twist them around

Now one of my most popular videos on the channel, bizarrely, is me unboxing these very headphones: the indigo Plattan 2 Urbanears headphones.
Not the Bluetooth ones - they're corded - they've got this wire and it detaches as well A

Anyway this video, it's got so many views you can see it playing now, where actually I'm doing an unboxing of the Plattan 2, and comparing them with the Plattan 1
Now I've been using these headphones every single day, and I only realized the other day that I've been using these daily for two years... so I thought I'd do two things in this video.

One is to show you how the urbanears Plattan 2 headphones look after two years of daily use.
I'll give you some close-ups in a second, but also compare them with a brand new set of Plattan 2's... ahh look... see how beautiful and clean and stitched they are!
And... ahhh, I've been using these every day for two years!

But they've held up - excuse me - they've held up really well, and I just want to show you which ways they've held up, and which ways they have probably deteriorated over two years
But anyway, this is what the box looks like

I actually got these new Plattan 2's for my long-suffering wife to help drown out me next to her.
Wow they feel different!

There's no Netflix account that can compensate for having to live with me I don't think but these sort of drown me out most of the time.

They're slightly different in a number of ways and I've only just noticed a few of the differences now and I wanted to go through those with you but let's take a look at the old Plattan 2, to show you a glimpse into the future of what yours might look like if you use them everyday for two years.
The first thing is... let me show you under the head - that has fared really well

There's just a little bit of-- where the colour has come away from the rubberized headband so this has worked really well
I think basically I've got a filthy head and I should clean more often, and I think the oil from my face in my head has... has worn this over time

The, the fabric has held up quite well as well I think you can see
I've spilt coffee on it

I haven't really bothered to clean it with fabric cleaner but in the comments on the other video, a few people were discussing best ways of cleaning these
I've not tried it, but I would use one of those pink sprays one of those OXY sprays that you have for upholstery
That will probably get that up
Hey, may-- that maybe that's another video!

But they don't look too filthy, thanks to the indigo colour.
And the next bit of wear and tear is on the ears, so don't know if you can see but these have completely unstitched themselves - so you can see the foam inside

They're still really comfortable though, but let me compare them with the new pair
You can see the stitching is pristine - that's how these used to look.

The oil from my face and being scrunched up as well has meant that some of the indigo colouring has come away

You know the great thing with these ear cups - I made another video about this
I'll give you a clip now: it's to show you how to disconnect the ear cups and replace them

I'll leave a link to that video in the description, or if you click on the "i" on the top of the screen - but just to show you if you wanted to get new ones.
They cost about fourteen pounds and and another fourteen pounds for delivery direct from Urbanears, but you can really easily disconnect them and they just they just twist-on really easily.

The last element of these lovely headphones is the cord and if you see, it's slightly frayed.
Now that is completely my fault because they're designed to be wound up and then you can tuck the 3.5mm jack under the cable like this, and then I pull it tight... and then I throw it in my bag!

What happens is, I think you can see that, but because I haven't extended the cups the cable clashes against the headband and bends it and over time - two years every day - it has caused the cable to bend slightly and wear away
It still works really well.

They still sound fantastic

What I didn't say in the unboxing review video was how they sounded, but I thought it was pretty obvious
I was replacing another pair that itself was I think five years old
The sound is phenomenal.

These cups kind of block out everything else around you which is why I've got them for my long-suffering wife but the sound is really rich and really warm
This is my favorite sounding headphones and they're so comfortable as well

I use them for really long... you know... walking, long movies
Sorry, it's the sound of someone's house being broken into!
So that's the tour of the two-year-old Plattan 2 headphones but look at this!

These are dark grey headphones - I'll just give you a comparison of the colour.
There are some differences between the two, and I can see one immediately when I do this...

The new headphones they have some kind of magnet attachment so where the ear cups meet the headband, Urbanears calls this a flexible 3D hinge
There's a magnet so they snap shut like this... and then to fold them up you just break the magnet

The other big difference that I've noticed - in fact I think it's the only other difference, it's identical in all other respects - is this...
This is how the Plattan 2 Jack has fared over two years

I'll put it over my head, there we go, nice focus
I don't know if you could see but the top of the L-shaped jack has worn away over time

Now again this is completely my fault because I have quite a chunky case on my phone, though it's got an L-shaped which is really helpful, and this lasted much longer than the jack on the original Plattan headphones

You can see the the rubber has worn away
But look at the new Plattan 2 Jack

They've given a very generous amount of protection on the end there because they know that's where it's going to be pulled out, over time
So you can see it's got this kind of rubber shield and it concertinas
I don't know what this is for, this hole

I can only imagine it's so you can tidily fold it up like that
But that seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the wire
I don't think I'd bother doing

That not that they're my headphones
Wrap the cable round and it's still clashing with the head band
So what I would advise if you get these headphones is to probably each time you do this push them up a bit
Oh now, that's made it worse!

Okay push them down a bit and then you'll see that the cable clears, but the great thing with the Plattan 2 is that the cable is replaceable
So this cable comes out

Don't do this if you have the Plattan and the original Plattan
Is it Plat-tan or Plattan?

This detaches as well so this part is completely replaceable and you could put in a cord that doesn't have the microphone built-in
Also, same with the other Plattan 2 - there's an extra 3.5mm jack so you can daisy chain your headphones and I can listen to things with my long-suffering wife, if she lets me!

She's probably gonna watch this video on these headphones, but do you have any questions?

Leave a comment - I'm sure there's something I've forgotten - but leave a-- a question below or just to say hi.
It'd be lovely to hear from you - maybe someone else could help you out with any questions that you might have about this, but I'll leave a link to the original video in the description because everything - all the details are there

The last thing I wanted to do is to just check if the ear cups detach.
This could go horribly wrong
Yes!

There you go
I haven't broken them. They do go back on, and I don't think this will show up on the camera, but it says put me back on or order a replacement at urbanears.com

I hope this has helped you decide whether or not you want the Plattan 2 Urbanears headphones
I cannot recommend more highly and like I say I've used mine every day for two years and before that daily for five years with the original Plattan

I better put this back together!
If you've reached this point of the video, it'll be fantastic if you could send me a little signal to let me know someone got this far

Just hit the thumbs up and if you're feeling even kinder why not hit the subscribe button you never have to watch anything I watch ever again but every subscription helps me get closer to 10,000 subscribers

It took me two years to get to 1,000 so I think we're looking at 2030 for smashing the 10,000 barrier

If you want to help me on that journey thank you and good luck with your purchase.
There are links to the Urbanears Plattan 2 in the description, if you buy them from there, Amazon give me a few pennies - so if you buy them from there thank you in advance.

Can you please help my daddy get 1000 subscribers just click on his face.
Thanks! Bye! How's that?
[Music]

Previous post...
15 mins folding my T-shirts Marie Kondo KonMari method | TIGHTWADDAD (SELF-HELP DAD?) VLOG


All about me, and getting these by email.

Try my previous book!

(UK) (US)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!