Monday 25 May 2020

MADE DIY FACE MASK from T-SHIRT first time in supermarket TIGHTWAD DAD VLOG @neilmossey



Made a face mask with a T-Shirt.
Then wore it to the supermarket.
How to make a DIY face mask... follow along with me.

MADE DIY FACE MASK from T-SHIRT first time in supermarket TIGHTWAD DAD VLOG @neilmossey



How to make a DIY face mask... follow along with me.
1:00 Why wear a face mask or covering.
1:50 It's to stop me touching my face: Here's the video of Dr. Dave Price of Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York City https://youtu.be/WxyH1rkuLaw
2:20 I can't stop touching my face.
2:46 I should get one of those cones that stop dogs scratching themselves.
2:55 Choosing my worst T-shirt to cut up... All my Marie Kondo folded T-shirts stored KonMari style!
4:27 My old Hawley Infants T-shirt before it's demolished: https://youtu.be/qD60N2qZyiw
5:22 My Stefon from SNL impression.
6:32 My Gordon Laing Cameralabs T-shirt, check out his brilliant YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/cameralabs
"All I Want Is A Perfect Camera" song stolen from Camera Conspiracies channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwxgo62w72LxZDA1fTibdYg
8:04 How to make a face mask from an old T-shirt, with no sewing, with US Surgeon-General Dr. Jerome Adams. https://youtu.be/tPx1yqvJgf4
But it's too bulky, you have to cut it in half and half again.
8:57 How to make a DIY face mask with smaller old T-shirt fabric and extra rubber bands x4.
12:00 Me wearing the homemade DIY T-shirt face mask in Lidl Supermarket, UK.
I'm not used to wearing the facemask in public...
13:18 My all-new 10,000 subscribers sigout voiceover!


TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

Bye-bye t-shirt... so sad
"Then you fold either side to the middle and you have yourself cloth face covering - it's that easy!"
Hello I'm Neil Mossey - welcome back to the happy hut!

Usually I'm a tightwad dad just trying to be happy with what we've already got - like these words on the screen say.
But right now we're in the great shutdown of 2020 and every day I'm trying to find something new, and today it's this!

THIS IS A TRANSCRIPT - CLICK ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!


So this is foot-- as you can see footage of me, in Lidl wearing a face mask.
It's my first time - my first trip to a supermarket with a face mask.
Obviously there was no one who could hold the camera for me so I just propped it up on a shelf - walked past.
You'd think I'd be more uncomfortable with that, than the wearing the face mask - but look at me.

I'm getting milk and I'm breathing on a much smaller radius, but my face mask is homemade and this is how you make a DIY face mask.
That's... that's the video and if you're looking this up on YouTube, firstly hello!
Welcome.
Say hi in the comments - it'd be lovely to hear from you, but if you are looking up "how to make a DIY face mask" on YouTube, you've probably been through exactly the same thought process as me.

If you just want to jump straight to making the face mask, I'll put the the time on the screen now.
This really pushes a button for some people.
If face masks aren't your thing I think it might be best if you hit stop now and I'll see you on the next video.

But for the rest of us, hello, I completely understand why this this really pushes a button for some people... and they leave the comments, you know...
"You're not a doctor"
"Ughhh"
"It's not effective... ughhhh... N95..."

I get it! But this video - this video is of a doctor in New York.

He just happens to be an intensive care respiratory expert as well, but he made this video call to his family where he's explaining that the reason that he wears a face mask is to stop him touching his face.

And I touch my face all the time!
Most of the day I spend with my head in my hands.
Look here's a photo that a friend took of me at work, and this is this is what I look like all the time - with my head in my hands.
So I know from wearing my son's smelly scarf that this is 100 percent effective in stopping me touching my face.
I don't need a face mask I need a head mask.

I need one of those cones that dogs wear - you know when they've been to the vets?
So I wanted to do this obviously as lazily as possible, and I found this video.
It's of the United States Surgeon-General, showing you how to make it.

All you need is a t-shirt and two rubber bands.

And here are all my t-shirts!

Yeah I know what you're thinking, but you know we did Marie Kondo.
We did it a few years ago so that's why it's so neat... but we did a few years ago which is why there is so many!

And this is a very sad day.
Two of these guys are going to get the chop.
Quite literally.
But which two?!

I have three t-shirts that are in constant rotation.
They're not in here right now because they're - I'm either wearing it, or it's on the floor, or they've just come out the wash.
This one survives. Doesn't even go into the drawer.
So does this one, and so does this one.

Usually I don't like writing on my t-shirts.
I don't like people reading my chest.
Messy Darth Vader - keep!
Happy computer emoticon thing - keep!
Tour de France thing? I've got mark on it? I'll keep!

This is my oldest t-shirt.
This is an antique "I need TP for my bunghole!"
I can't cut this up!
But the thought of having Beavis on my face is very appealing.
That might go into the maybe pile, even though it's my oldest t-shirt.

Los Pollos Hermanos... from Breaking Bad.
I haven't worn this for about six months, but I don't think I can cut it up - keep!
Martial arts t-shirt - keep!

More writing... usually I prefer pictures - keep that one. That's definitely got a mark on it.
Now this is a strange one. This is from... it's from my infant school, when they had a big reunion could-- because they're demolishing the school.
I'll put a link to the video up top and in the description, it's Hawley Infants
I think this might be going to the maybe pile - I haven't worn it for a year.

I've worn it on a couple of videos.
T-shirt with a collar, fancy. That's for my formal wear.
See the t-shirt is the uniform for my midlife crisis
or midriff crisis
Keep.

I can't tell you what it is I'm using to choose which t-shirts to cut up.
I think it's the the konmari method - the Marie Kondo method of holding it.
Feeling if it sparks joy. This sparks joy. Keep.
I love this one because my long-suffering wife hates it - because it's got so many holes!
It's more holes... than t-shirt. Rodent food.
I love it - keep!

Now I like this one because it makes me look like Stefon from Saturday Night Live.
Okay I won't do the impression... "Well..."
I'm good, I've just been up for three days.
Hey maybe I should have a shot of me wearing it...

[STEFON'S VOICE] "I'm good I've just been up for three days."
Another martial arts t-shirt - keep!
Another martial arts t-shirt - keep!
Another martial arts t-shirt - keep!

I'm not sure about this. I got this from, from Disneyland, so I like the memories from it.
I'm not the slimmest guy in the world, but I like my t-shirts tight.
This is a little generous. It's just, it's just really wide. This is definitely going into the maybe pile.
I've not worn it for two years - it used to have a really good design. A row of cartoon gnomes - sort of vintage look - and a line underneath: "Rolling with my Gnomies".
It has gone, so all that there is left is t-shirt.

It feels like cheating, but I think this is definite, definite maybe.
Cameralabs! Check out the cameralabs channel at the top. Gordon Laing, see i bought your merch! I couldn't cut this up, although it'd be extra advertising for your channel.
[SINGS] "All I want is a perfect camera..." oh no, it's the wrong channel.

We've got three of these - I used to go jogging in them. It's the Late Show, The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn. For me the best Late Late Show, sorry to all the other hosts.
And it had the best merch, so I bought a second one, and then I bought a third one.
Definite keep.

I might start jogging again one day.
Which leaves this - it does not spark joy anymore, it just leaves me cold. Quite literally.
I suppose I could make a mask with the graphic.
I can't wear it with the words because it'd just say "OLD."
"OLD WHAT?!"

I do like the faded blue - definite maybe.
You know the real problem about putting videos on YouTube is that sometimes you feel like you, you, you might be sharing too much, that I think I just shared.
So this is the final shortlist.
The deadly five.

Look I've got paint on it!
So that's, oh that's keep!
It's that way.

I've had-- I don't think I could wear that on my face.
That'll be keep, but not for any good reason.
I don't want a white mask, cause I know what state it's gonna look like.
There's no way I'm gonna keep this white, so it's in the keep.
So that leaves "Rolling with my Gnomies" and this.
I did it!

So these are the ones, let's hack them up!

Hey I don't know if you're in lockdown as well by the way, but I've not put my wallet in my pocket for about two months. It's brilliant!

So these are the two t-shirts that are going to get it.

The first method we're gonna try is from the US Surgeon General, Dr. Jerome Adams.
Here's how you can make your own face covering in a few easy steps, with items you can find around the house.
Oh my goodness - the state of me! Up against that.
Or you can make a face covering out of an old t-shirt.
Fold it to the middle from the bottom.
Fold it to the middle from the top.
Fold it again to the middle from the bottom.

Look at his folding.
Look at mine.

Now the great thing with this method is that it doesn't need any sewing.
All you need is 2 elastic bands, which I've got.
The great thing about being British is that obviously we have elastic bands on the pavements scattered around the country, but I've not picked these up from the pavement.
I've picked them up from my kitchen drawer.
It's brilliant - there's no sewing, but the problem I had is that if you do it just with the whole t-shirt it sort of looks like this, which is okay? It sort of works, but I wanted to go for something a bit smaller.

I feel bad enough for being in Lidl at all, let alone being in Lidl looking like this!
So what I'm going to do is cut it up, which they don't tell you to do on the video.
Bye bye t-shirt, thank you for your service.
So sad.
On the upside, I've now got a little crop top!

So I'm gonna follow the instructions, this way - so put it sideways.

Here's how you can make your own face covering in a few easy steps, with items you can find around the house - like an old scarf, a bandana, or a hand towel.
Or you can make a face covering out of an old t-shirt!

Fold it to the middle from the bottom.
Fold it to the middle from the top.
Fold it again to the middle from the bottom, and again from the top.
And then two rubber bands.
One on one side and one on the other side.
Then you fold either side to the middle and you have yourself cloth face covering.
It's that easy.

I like that! It still feels a bit pudding-gy. It just feels a bit large.
I don't know how to lose the bulk - the story of my life.
Think I need to find a way, so it's not quite as bulky.

Maybe I should cut the t-shirt in half again? Let's try that.
Then cut THAT half, in half again.
Fold it to the middle from the bottom.
Fold it to the middle from the top.
Fold it again to the middle from the bottom, and again from the top.
And then two rubber bands.
One on one side and one on the other side.
Then you fold either side to the middle and you have yourself cloth face covering.
It's that easy.

That's the one!
I can't tell if it's dangling down.
The only downside with it, is now that I've worn it for 30 seconds, my ears aren't coping very well with the elastic bands.
Maybe if I, if I double up the elastic bands, oh look at that.
That's, that's gonna annoy me.
Okay so went and got the two extra elastic bands, and I might make it a bit wider as well.
So it's not so far to go, for my ears.
That feels just right!

So those are the dimensions - it sort of looks like this: about 25cm by 25cm.
That for me is the perfect length, and if it's too small for you, then you've got plenty of t-shirt left to try again!
You know it's much better with the two rubber bands as well.
So all that's left to do now is to try it out in an actual supermarket!

Here I am, this is me in Lidl.
So this is like literally the only place on earth where I can get this thing right now.
It works out really well but I just I'm not used to wearing the face mask out in public.
It feels like you are making yourself "the other".
Especially if you're around people who aren't wearing face masks.
If you're not that's absolutely fine!
I just don't want to smell you, that's all!
And also I don't want to touch my face!

But you think if I was that worried about not getting it, that maybe I'd put off buying papadums and pitta bread, and some potting compost!
The other-- right so the other thing as well, it feels really rude wearing the mask, and I just want to like pull it down say "hello!"
Anyway I hope this this video has helped if you want to make a DIY face mask without doing any sewing whatsoever.
And if you want to express your awesomeness by hitting the thumbs up button I'd really appreciate that, or say hello in the comments below.
And if you made a face mask - have you copied this yourself?

If you have let me know how you get on.
Let me know how you get on with the face mask situation because I'm still not feeling entirely comfortable with it, and good luck on your face covered shopping.
Can you please help my daddy get 10,000 subscribers just click on his face, thanks bye!
Alright, this is gonna be the proper one, right?


Previous post...
MY BEST EVER HEAD SHAVER Remington Stylist Hair Clipper for a Grade 1 #TightwadDad unboxing


All about me, and getting these by email.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Try my previous book!

(UK) (US)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!