Tuesday 19 December 2023

How to get more storage on a MacBook: Best external SSD hard drive for MacBook pro or MacBook air



How do you get more storage on a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?
In this video, I share the best external hard drive storage for my Macbook Pro: the Samsung T7 SSD (though... mine is currently a T5!) If you're looking to upgrade your Macbook storage or get more memory for your laptop (and for me, it's for editing), this could be the best external SSD hard drive for your needs.

My neat MACBOOK STORAGE solution



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

Hello, I'm Neil, and welcome back to the channel. 
This is a short video about my MacBook Pro Storage solution. 
I went for the 512GB MacBook Pro M1 14inch, but you might have this problem if, like me, you're not made of money.
This storage solution, this one here, could work really well for you. 
I make lots and lots of YouTube videos, as you know because you're watching this, but I edit all of those videos on my MacBook Pro, and any video that I'm making can take up to 100GB while I'm editing them.
I didn't want to run out of space. 
Also, it's a laptop, and it turns out the MacBook is not a very rugged device. 
Look, here's me introducing my MacBook Pro to a pint of apple juice all over my keyboard. 
[Music]
If I keep all of my current videos and editing files on the actual MacBook hard drive, I could lose absolutely everything if anything happened to my MacBook. 
Having a separate hard drive with all my current video edits, it’s... it’s just that extra layer of safety. 
When I had to shut this down to dry it off for 3 Days, look here, uh, here's some footage of it upside down on two towels on our dining room table. 
I was able to take this hard drive and literally just plug it into my very old MacBook, and I just carried on from where I left off.
There isn't that much to show. 
I'll just give you some b-roll. 
So, this is the Samsung T5. 
There's a more up-to-date version. 
This has lasted me for over 2 years, and it's lasted so well that the model... 
I don't think you can get these now. 
It's now called the T7. 
It comes in all different colours and different storage sizes as well. My one is only 500GB, and I think you can get about 1 or 2TB for the same price now. 
It has lasted so well for me, and I only needed 500GB.
It's an SSD, which I believe stands for solid-state drive, which means it works more like a chip rather than the mechanical disc that spins around in other hard drives, uh, like this Lacie. 
Apparently, it can fail after a certain amount of data has been transferred. 
I transfer a lot while I'm editing, so I should probably look out for that. 
Let me know down in the comments if you know more about this. 
But honestly, I've used this daily for two for more than two years, and it has never let me down, touch hard drive! 
I don't think I've even formatted it or wiped it in that time. I mean, you know, wiped it as in erased it rather than giving it a clean. You just plug it in, and it just goes. It just works. It appears as a new drive with its own window and drive letter, so there's no need for me to install anything.
There is a downside I can show you here. 
It was really difficult to find the right cable, and this is the best I could find. 
Let me show it to you. 
This is the best I could find. 
It's called a Satechi cable. There are lots of short USB-C cables on Amazon. 
I think I've got some examples on screen of some cables. 
They looked good. They looked like they should work, but they did not work. I think they're just not good enough for the high data transfer speeds that we need or even any data transfer.
This Satechi cable, I don't know if you pronounce it that way, let me know in the comments, but this Satechi... Satechi cable is just the right length and it has never given me any trouble. 
But I know what you're thinking. 
You can see the massive problem with this because the Jacks stick out from the drive and the MacBook. If I were to drop the MacBook like this, I won't do it now, uh, but you can guess what would happen if I if I were to drop it or if it were to land, uh, then this plug could absolutely destroy my USB-C Jack and it could possibly destroy my whole computer.
I did actually do that on my old MacBook Pro. 
I don't know if you can see the big dent there, there's a bulge where it's landed square on the USB Jack. 
Luckily, when that happened, the cable was destroyed, but the MacBook USB port survived, even though you can still see the impact damage to this day. 
And I sort of like how it's attached to the MacBook Pro. 
You might not like this. 
You might hate this, but I've got it on with some 3M dual lock tape, which I use on all my peripherals. 
Look, here's a multi-function adapter by Ugreen, and I've got a patches on both sides. 
It's like velcro but it's much much stronger. 
It's more like sticklebricks if you remember those, the teeth, the plastic teeth really lock into each other, and it means I can mix and match my MacBook attachments, and the tape is stuck onto my rugged MacBook case, not the actual laptop itself.
I'll put a link to the cases that I use. 
I'm not sure that they're the best, but they have really helped when the MacBook has fallen. 
These things are so fragile. 
There are also links to the Dual lock tape, the multi-function adapter, the USB-C cable, and of course the Samsung T7 portable SSD, which supersedes this T5. 
And if this video is helping, thank you for hitting the thumbs up or the Subscribe button. 
It really helps me out. I try out experiments here on YouTube so you can try them on your channel, and right here is what YouTube knows you're going to love watching next. 
Can you please help my dad get to 1 million subscribers? Just click on his face. Thanks, bye!


Previous post...
How to DOWNLOAD Google Photos to GALLERY on PHONE


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!