Friday 12 February 2021

Before you publish a new video... YOUTUBE CREATOR ACADEMY COURSE EXAM #1 Quickstart guide to YouTube



YouTube Creator Academy LIVE COURSE EXAM!
I'm taking every YouTube Creator Academy course and taking the exam LIVE on here every week through 2021.

This week it's "The quickstart guide to YouTube" which covers 
Welcome to YouTube
YouTube Basics
Brand your channel
An introduction to YouTube policies and guidelines...

Before you publish a new video... YOUTUBE CREATOR ACADEMY COURSE EXAM #1 Quickstart guide to YouTube



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

Is this it, are we live?
Hello uh welcome it's Friday night here in the UK I’m totally not prepared for this as you're about to see 

this is a really unusual departure for me on two levels and I’m gonna walk you through the the two things that I’m doing for the first time live
it's what eight minutes to seven o'clock at night so I’m in the happy hut and I’m assuming that nobody is watching this but if you are then you'll know that my name is Neil Mossey

hello I’m a development producer helping high achieving creators and performers just like you to get ideas out of your head and out onto here on YouTube 
and this video is going out live thanks to a trial that I’m trying out 
they're not paying me they're not affiliated to me at all 

I’m just trying out this software it's called melon app and that's why there's this logo in the corner and 
I’m a bit freaked out because I thought I’d be able to stream this privately and record the stream and then upload it later but the free plan only allows you to go live so I wasn't quite expecting to be live 
so hello it's great to have you here and I’m so not used to this dashboard that I’m looking at that I don't even know if anyone is watching this 
I don't even know if it's live 
let's show on stream 

yes I’ve got a bohemian rhapsody effect going on there but this is what I’m looking at this is what I can see 
I can see on there that two people are watching and I don't know one of them is me so if you are the other person thank you 

you are the one person watching my live stream right now on a Friday night courage to you my friend 
so that's the first big thing that I’m doing so I’ll take that off “using melon app for the first time” and show this the screen I’ve done that 

the second thing I’m going to do is as you can see from the words along the bottom here all right so this is the YouTube Creator Academy 
and they have all these courses 
I counted them there are 46 courses 

why don't I just do every single course and do the course exam live at the end of every week to show what I’ve learned and also to get you to play along and see if you can take the course exam too and maybe we can compare scores 

I don't know, I’m not encouraging any cheating so if you want to talk amongst yourselves that's great but I’m going to try and do this course exam for real 
the course that we're doing today is the quickstart guide to YouTube 
it's the first course I think - it's one of the basic courses 

there are 21 basics courses it's the very first one 
so these are the 21 courses that I’m going to go through one at a time 
you can see I’ve started a few of them and I thought the only way I could see this through is to use you as an accountability partner 

I should have told some friends that I’m doing this 
it got to about four o'clock I thought oh why don't I just do it and see what happens 
these are the lessons that I’ve just done 
it only took me half an hour and on... if you're watching this on the recording I’ll put a link to the YouTube Creator Academy in the description 

but I’ll also put a link to this actual course so you can follow along or maybe even go back and see if you get any wrong 
should we do the exam?
and I think if I get it wrong I think I’ve got to like wait a couple of months before I can take it again 

now I’m not looking at-- only because I can't - but I’m not looking at my chat because I don't want to cheat but you can cheat in the chat if you want to 
so the first question in the quick start guide to YouTube is how can people discover your content on YouTube 

I’m not looking at the chat because I can't open the window so put in the chat what you think the 
answer is and I’ll go through the chat afterwards and we'll see if anyone gets any of these questions right 
so how can people discover your content on YouTube 
it's like a really terrible pub quiz isn't it 
you got better things to do?!

the multiple choice answers are 
YouTube.com on their computer 
YouTube app on their phone 
YouTube app on their smart tv 
or all of the above 
I’m gonna go for all of the above 

oh next what is a good question to ask yourself when defining your channel's mission
how can I have an impact 
how can I make a ton of money 
sorry I’ve got Mike Reid in my head 
there was a game show in the 1970s called runaround 

I’ll put a link to that in the description 
how can I reach 100000 subscribers 
or how can I produce a viral video 
answer now in the comments or live chat if you're my one viewer on the live stream on a Friday night 
I think I’m going to go for how can I have an impact 
oh so we don't get the scores or answers to the end 
I promise I’ll speed it up a bit so we can get through these 

why should you pay attention to your channel name?
it needs to be different from your real name 
it helps to include trending keywords 
it will always appear in your video credits 
or it can live on your channel for years 
put your answer in the comments now 
what I’m going to go for it can live on your channel for years 
now I don't want to be that annoying person in the exam but I’m finding these a bit easy so it'll be a shock if we get any of these wrong 

before you publish a new video what's an important step 
add details to describe what your video is about 
pre-populate comments for early viewers to see 
embed the video url across your social media 
last option is write down your number of subscribers 
so before you publish a new video what's an important step put your answer down now 
I’m going to go for... because I’m reading them out I’m not actually taking them in 
I can't do more than one thing at a time 

see it could be embed the url but I’m gonna go for uh add details to describe what your video is about 
what's the basic definition of watch time 
this is question five and that was my chair by the way not me 
the hazards of live streaming 

what's the basic definition of watch time 
the number of people watching your channel right now 
the time of day that most viewers visit your channel 
the average time that someone spends on YouTube 
or the amount of time that viewers watch your videos 
so put your answer now in the chat in the live chat if you're watching the live stream and put it in the comments if you're watching the recording afterwards 
I’m gonna do this next week and we're to really zip through these 

I’m going to go for no no... be the amount of time that viewers watch your videos 
which action helps you build your community 
interact with fan comments like I’m not right now I’m so sorry but I can only open one window 
like every video that you watch 
that is always a good idea 
change your channel name 
or publish a new video every day 

And I’m gonna go with interact with fan comments 
are you getting many comments on your YouTube channel leave a comment let me know! 
we can sort something out and comment on each other's channel 
your channel branding should be 
simple 
or relevant to your channel 
or consistent 
or all of the above 
Whoa, a trick uh a curveball there for the last option 
I’m gonna go for all of the above 

and I can see... I don't like by the way I don't like the fact that I’ve got the word melon in the corner of the screen there 
I’ve got the word melon over my bald head there!
that's not right 
why should you use consistent branding this is question eight it's nearly there 

why should you use consistent branding 
because you want your channel to be discovered in search results 
because you paid someone to market your brand 
because you want viewers to instantly recognize your brand 
or because you want to provide a fun experience 
so why should you use consistent branding 
I’m gonna go for because you want viewers to instantly recognize your brand 
how easy are you finding... I’m finding these quite easy 
do some bragging in the in the comments or the chat if these seem a bit too uh basic for you 
maybe they get harder through the year and build ourselves up 

what branding elements consists of a welcome video to potential fans 
the channel trailer 
the channel banner 
the channel card 
or the channel description 
I’m going to go for channel trailer 
Cindy finds a video on YouTube that seems inappropriate 
I’ve had that this week 

I just got a community guidelines warning for one of my thumbnails and I appealed it or if you're in the UK I appealed against it 
and the... the appeal was successful 
and then three hours later the YouTube automatically banned it again and I’ve got I’ve got a community guideline strike 
I’ve got a video on that coming up very soon 
I bet it was cindy flagging it 

anyway cindy finds a video on YouTube that seems inappropriate what would you recommend her to do 
email the creator to express her outrage 
unsubscribe from the channel 
yeah that that would be a good idea cindy 
flag the video for review 
or add the video to her playlist 
her evil playlist 

so which one would you go for? 
are you going to go for cindy's evil playlist 
or unsubscribing go away don't come back 
I... I think it's going to be flagged the video for a review isn't it 
penultimate question 

I’m channelling my inner Derek Batey.
if you don't know who Derek Batey is google it after the quiz 
but uh I need more hair I think to pull off the Derek Batey 
that deserves a community guideline strike doesn't it 
me talking about pulling yes uh so anyway...

I can't have another community guideline strike please 
you've received a content id claim what does this mean 
a copyright owner has identified content in your video that belongs to them 
another creator claims that you stole their idea for your video 
I don't think anyone's going to steal the idea for this 
and if they do they've got 46 of these to make 

you've received a content id claim what does this mean 
you may have accidentally uploaded the same video twice 
or your video infringes intellectual property and you're probably in big trouble 
well again this has happened to me by accident this month uh we'll go for a copyright owner has identified content in your video that belongs to them 
next final question we've got this 
here we go 

what's the potential consequence of multiple copyright strikes 
your channel may be terminated 
your subscribe button will be disabled 
your channel banner will get a strike badge 
I’d like one of them maybe I should make one of my own like the the play button that I made 
the final option your videos may be age restricted 

put your answer in the chat or the comments now 
don't look at the person next to you 
what's a potential consequence of multiple copyright strikes 
I think it's going to be the big bad termination your... your channel may be terminated 

let's see if we pass this course exam live on a Friday night live across the world 
quiz complete 
how did you do 
is that it?

I thought it would tell us how we did 
get my letter - shall we see?
letter of completion 
that's it great 
I... I thought we would get some kind of recap of the questions and answers 
so we did it we I don't know what the percentage is 

Did you do okay 
leave a comment with your score 
I thought there would be some kind of fanfare or some kind of tension release at the end there but it is quite like an episode of Mr & Mrs.
I’m gonna be here every week I’m hoping to do this around the same time sort of six o'clock on a Friday night GMT 

this is how pathetic I am - I need validation from YouTube actually on YouTube 
so next week we'll do get discovered which is all about enhancing your channel's search and discovery potential on YouTube 
thanks so much for joining me 

if you joined us live - “us” - it's just me 
you can probably hear the rain 
if you have joined us thanks so much for... for coming along for the ride and if you're watching on the on the recording say hello in the comments so that we can see your channel 
thanks for joining us and if you're watching the recording right here is what YouTube thinks you should be watching next!

Previous post...
How I stopped my anxiety. Or Boris Bike Down. You decide: My next YouTube video


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!