Tuesday 18 August 2020

HOW TO ADD CHAPTERS TO YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS | YouTube Tips Neil Mossey



Here's how to add chapter markers to your YouTube videos!
It's a new 2020 feature introduced by YouTube where you can divide and mark out sections of your videos, called chapters, which appear below the red line play bar at the bottom of the YouTube video.
All you have to do is write out the timecodes or timestamps right here in the description of your video.

HOW TO ADD CHAPTERS TO YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS | YouTube Tips Neil Mossey



0:00 How to add chapters to your YouTube videos.
0:45 How to turn on chapters in YouTube Studio dashboard
1:05 Breaking YouTube video up into sections with bars on the bottom of the video
1:40 How to create chapters in the description
2:15 Using the title of the YouTube video as a chapter title
3:00 Using time stamps to create chapters in YouTube video
3:35 Chapters appearing at bottom of video on YouTube
3:57 How timecodes create chapters in YouTube video
4:50 Can you use colons in YouTube chapters in videos?
5:23 Can you use URL in chapter descriptions on YouTube video?
6:00 YouTube Help Center link about creating chapter headings in videos
6:15 How to put timecodes and timestamps in comments
6:35 How to pin your comment to the top of the comments and make it pinned
7:34 Link to the video, how I make thumbnails for free: https://youtu.be/VhmAS8tkF44

TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

You know on youtube when the video is broken up into sections and those sections are labelled beautifully under the red line of the play bar at the bottom of the video?
They're called chapters and here is how you can make chapters on your youtube videos using timestamps in the description
Hello I'm Neil Mossey thanks for clicking on this video welcome back to the happy hut
I'm a development producer helping high achieving performers and creators like you to get ideas out of your head and out into the world to make people happy right here on youtube, so thanks for clicking on this video.
Let's go into my youtube studio dashboard right now and there is a video.
"Yeah I just don't care what other people think because it wasn't for them!"

So as you can see along the bottom here on my episode of great british youtubers podcast you can see right away on the time code at the bottom you can see that this section is actually labelled great british youtubers podcast with Neil Mossey and Elle Meadows.

If I skip it forward to the next chapter it previews the title "is there something other youtubers do?" and when I skip to it you can see that that's the title of that section and if I move the cursor to this other bar for the next section "what would you say to your 1000 subscriber self?"

So it's a really handy way of breaking up your youtube video to help the viewer navigate their way around the video.

I want to add chapters to this video "make thumbnails for free" If I punch this up this is the youtube video that is actually live In the description the chapters aren't there yet so if I hover my cursor around the play bar there are no chapters there at all - it's just a plain line with no words underneath
We're going to change that

Now the way to add chapters to your video is to firstly start with the magic number 0:00
That's not enough to trigger it but it's the first thing we need to do

Now most people put "intro" here I've been trying something else and you might like to try this too because 0:00 is pretty much always going to be the intro but I've taken this as an opportunity to I don't know maybe get a bit more rankability by actually putting the title of the video at 0:00

That is essentially what is happening at the start of my video so i'm gonna call 0:00 make thumbnails for free on macbook pro with keynote and then let's let's watch the video just to get another title "if you have an apple mac here is an app or program called keynote"

Right so that might be my next chapter The start of this section is at 0:16 so 0 minutes colon 16 seconds let's type in here 0:16 and I'm going to call this section how to download keynote for free and we'll watch on for the next section "...it makes slides in only two sizes the first size is..."

Right so this is at 0:32 we're going to call this "how to set slide size in apple keynote" Now it might not look like it but something magical has just happened
If I hit save now watch what happens when I view the video on youtube
There they are!

Can you see it like - oh shut up Neil - be quiet hush you beautiful beast - look what you've done
The chapters have appeared so all you need to make chapters, to add chapters to your youtube video are just three timecodes - one after the other - and for those time codes to be going up

Look what happens if the time codes aren't sequential so go 0:00, 0:32 and 0:16 if I save that you can see the chapters have disappeared

So the first rule is start with 0:00 and then put the time codes on a new line and have at least three timecodes where the times are going up I have now added a whole load of time codes uh time stamps for every section of this video I'll hit save and oh my goodness I've lost so many timestamps from the browser crashing or closing so I always try to keep hitting save as much as possible

I want to show you something I was worried about with the colons

Over here at 3:25 keynote tips i've put a dash to show zoom out of side and make picture bigger what if I were to change that to a colon like that I was worried that this colon in a description might completely wreck the chapters but let me show you if I hit save and we'll watch the video on youtube that you can see that the chapters are all there so you can add colons within a chapter description

That was something I wasn't sure would work

Something else on that note if I wanted to add a youtube link or any other link that has colon and slashes in it - would that link also wreck the chapters?

Would it stop chapters being added to your video

Let's hit save as you can see I'm getting fed up of me waving, but as you can see I'm moving my cursor along the chapters are still there that hasn't affected the chapters at all they are still working so that was something I was worried about I hope that helps and I hope this this helps you to add chapters to your videos

There's a whole youtube help center page on that I'll put the link in the description below something else that I do is that I make a copy of the time codes and I go down to the comments and I, I always add it as a comment to help viewers navigate it but also maybe who knows maybe this information helps youtube and google to rank my video even more for these subjects so if I save this as a comment - kerching!

And I can go one better than that I can give it a like and on these three dots here I can go down to pin and pin that comments to the top of the comments so this comment that has all of the time codes for the chapters of this youtube video are right there at the top of the comments and I... I think it just helps I think it helps viewers to find their way in the video and who knows it might even help the video itself to rank better for these subjects

Has this helped?
Leave a comment below if you have any questions i'd love to hear from you even if you just reach this point of the video say hi it'd be great to hear from you and if you're feeling even kinder why not give me a thumbs up If you're feeling even more awesome why not hit the subscribe button and if you're feeling even more awesome than that you might like this video right here.

It's the the actual video that I've been breaking up into chapters "how I make thumbnails for my youtube videos"

Good luck with adding chapters to your videos and thanks for watching
Can you please help my daddy get 10000 subscribers just click on his face thanks bye! Alright this is going to be the proper one right.


Previous post...
How to cope with CRITICISM on YouTube | Elle Meadows GREAT BRITISH YOUTUBERS with NEIL MOSSEY 007


All about me, and getting these by email.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Try my previous book!

(UK) (US)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!