Thursday 3 September 2020

How to MAKE MONEY ON TIKTOK | STEVEN MCKELL Great British YouTubers Podcast with Neil Mossey 009



Can you make a career on Tik Tok? How can you earn money on TikTok?
Steven McKell has 2.3 million Tik Tok followers, 53 million TikTok video likes and around 400 million views. Steven also runs @Steven Mckell YouTube channel, so he is the best influencer and TikToker I know to learn about TikTok versus YouTube.
PART 1 OF OUR CHAT IS HERE: https://youtu.be/zybwzbgLpgc

How to MAKE MONEY ON TIKTOK | STEVEN MCKELL Great British YouTubers Podcast with Neil Mossey 009



TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

Hello, I know what you're thinking: how can I make money on TikTok?
TikTok now's not going anywhere we know that, and in terms of and how big it is, it's got to the point where it's so big I think that it'll just consistently evolve - like things like instagram snapchat and stuff.

So the companies now jumping on it now, and realizing "how do we keep going?"
"How do we keep putting out the content?"
There's a variety of ways you can make money on it.
Some more reliable than others.

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

This is the Great British YouTubers Podcast with me Neil Mossey.
Hello it's awesome to have you here.

This is a place where we share advice, experience and tips with high achieving creators and performers just like you.
And... in this episode Steven Mckell.

Steven has over 2.3 million followers on TikTok, clocking up over 500 million views.
He also has a YouTube channel so is absolutely the best person to talk about YouTube versus TikTok.
This is part two of our chat and all the other episodes are in the description.

And this is a this is a delicate question, an awkward question, but do you make money on TikTok?
Yeah I do.
I have um, when I first started it for the first few years and you know, there's different ways to make money on Tik Tok, and I think some people a little bit um dubious to talk about it because, you know, they they don't want to.

But I'll be the one to set the record straight!

Now, no don't get me wrong - there's, there's different ways you can make money on TikTok.
You can do live streaming and where people then send you gifts and they buy gifts from the app and they send you them, and every time you like some people have livestreams where they play games, where they do... and now you can guest people in sometimes.
It's like something so... you get something back for that, or if you want to support your your favourite creator you can do it that way.

Me personally? I've never asked for that on live streams.
I've been given gifts and no matter... you can tell it... you can tell people "don't give me them" all you want -- some people are still just going to give you gifts, and a lot of minds nowadays like the small gifts and like "thank you but like save it and like donate to somewhere or do something else" erm... whatever,I just want you to join my live streams to have fun but other people can make a living from it.

They can make the--- they put a lot of time and effort into live streaming, and I used to live stream like I used-- I livestreamed like two years straight on the platform every night.

I livestreamed and that... that was for me to build my following.
Back then it was really big because it was cheaper for gifts and people some... some creators in America got... done really well on gifting, and but now TikTok have put in like measures to keep it safe for... so kids can't send gifts on the app, you have to be 18 or over, you have to be 16 or over to livestream - which I totally agree with because they-- what they're doing is safeguarding the, the people watching but also the creators who are livestreaming.

But that's one way you can do it.
This is a long-winded answer as well I'm sorry!

No no this is an 'anoraky' kind of podcast so go into as much detail as you feel comfortable!

Yes you could-- do you could do it through the livestream and things like that, which a lot of people do, and a lot of people - most people - put a lot of work into livestreams where some people don't.
And there's other pla-- erm, ways of doing it.

So you could do sponsored content content like you would do on YouTube or Instagram or Twitter.

Most of sponsored content that's on TikTok is music, because music drives the platform.

It's in all like, most videos you'll see you'll have a music tagged at the bottom of what artists that is etcetera.
And so you get brands that will come to you, want to like promote a song, and like you then get a campaign, and you talk to like the artists-- not the artists, but like the music, record label etc erm, or your management and you kind of figure out what you want to do with that.

Oh there's a variety of ways, you can put things in your bio, you can make videos that are ads.

Like I... like help sometimes I'll try and help companies like build on TikTok.
So if you've really got a lot of knowledge, you can use it to then help companies build on the platform like-- they can like pay you, or you can work with them or whatever way you want to do that.

And you can help them build - give them knowledge to build on Tik Tok, and I know a lot of people that have done that.
There's some people that I know that have stopped doing Tik Tok all together on their page, and went and ran another TikTok account for a business, because that's how...

TikTok now is not going anywhere.

We know that in terms of... erm, how big it is - it's got to a point where it's so big.
I think that it'll just consistently evolve, like things like Instagram, Snapchat and stuff.
So companies are now jumping on it now and realizing they'll get... they'll do good to start with, and they'll be like "oh we need to have..."
"how do we keep going?"
"how do we keep putting out the content?"
So there's a variety of ways you can make money on it.
Some more reliable than others.

But that sounds really wise Steven because it means that your um... your income doesn't just rest on the platform on what the the platform deigns to give you, like on YouTube.

The... you, you are building relationships that will last longer than the next...
Yeah.
...pay out.

Yeah exactly and I think, I think there's a difference... whereas we would LOVE on TikTok if our effort... if we ever, ever content was monetized and we've got...
we'd love it, it'd be great!

You know I mean like just like YouTube does.

I don't know how they would do that now, you know you've got different things where they're trying to build different things to help creators and, and brands connect.

TikTok are actively trying to do that.

However I think they need to just be like... they need to make it not for everyone, because if that happened you'd, you'd have hundreds of millions of people like abusing some sort of system - so they have to make it really like they do on YouTube.
You have a certain amount of watch time and a certain amount of videos and stuff.
But we would love it if it was monetized but um there is ways to do it, you know, and relying on me making the, the work the effort to make a video, to get me paid instead of relying on like the views - not relying on the views, but it's better thinking "I've worked hard for this money" than like not doing anything at all really.

If anyone's listening from tiktok: we would still love for our content to be monetized
i.e our, like videos get views, because no one's gonna pass that up are they if they could do that in a way that was that was fun and great then we would love it!

Shall we both ask TikTok now?
Please, TikTok.
Yeah, yeah, do it!
Please monetize.
Monetize the videos!

Monetize videos, and I think that the way to do that I think, you know, it's hard for them, because it is - because they've, they've worked hard to get monetization to like a creative place where you can... brands and creators can connect.
Which is fine and fun.

However brands... some brands are going to undercut the smaller creators, and give them peanuts and they're going to take them.

I like... I love TikTok as a platform and you know I've been on it for years, so like it's my, it's my baby, um but like there's a lot of new creators that come up now and, and they get a bit of a following really quickly and then it kind of plateaus which happens to everyone -- and like, and then you know, if they've not got a lot of knowledge on the platform - or how to um keep themselves safe from brands or people trying to take advantage of them, like management or whatever...

You've got to try, and you try and let them know, but at the end of the day you know, some people just are going to choose their own decisions.

But that's the issue that you have now.

You've got a lot of people coming up. Get big for a little bit and then get like "oh what are they doing?
People trying to take advantage of them.

It's like any platform you're on - any social media - anything like that.
There's always someone that's probably out there to kind of see what they can get from you without really giving you your worth.
Whereas I'm really lucky.

I've kind of... I've built my knowledge up, I know--
not worth in terms of money because money's, you know, it's something you think about - because it's a job - but it's not my first priority.

My first priority is that "will my content inspire people in some way"
That's all I... that's what I think about when I make content.
Money comes like third or fourth for me.

Don't get swept up in the things - this is from personal experience - but don't get swept up and this, you know, looking at everyone else's accounts for the views...
comparing yourself to other people... to um thinking you've got to be like someone else.

I've done all those things and it honestly - what it does, it just ruins your whole entire vibe.
It's not something you want to get involved in.

You've got to be able to be yourself so don't... don't compare yourself to anyone else ever!
Just don't do it. Believe me, it's the best thing - just don't do it.

And please hit the subscribe button below if you want to see more Great British YouTubers.
There's a playlist and a podcast. All the links are in the description below.
I'm Neil Mossey and I'll see you on the very next episode of Great British YouTubers.


Previous post...
ZV-1 with SARAMONIC SR-XM1 | Sony ZV 1 camera external mic REVIEW & AUDIO TEST mini microphone


All about me, and getting these by email.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!