Thursday 8 June 2023

How to install IKEA LACK floating shelf



This is how I put up our IKEA LACK FLOATING SHELF!  It goes wrong during the install, so you don't have to!  In the video, I put the Lack shelf up in real time, sort of as a step by step tutorial in what to avoid.
You'll need a drill, a cross head screwdriver, some rawlplugs (or wall plugs, or screw anchors),  spirit level, tape measure, two cups of coffee, a bedroom and an Ikea LACK shelf. 

How to put up my IKEA LACK SHELF... or not... INSTALL FLOATING SHELF #IKEADAD



0:00 How to put up an Ikea Lack shelf, a floating shelf for our bedroom.
0:32 How to make sure your Ikea Lack floating shelf is level and positioned correctly.
0:58 How does a Lack Ikea shelf work? How does it float?
2:30 How to install an Ikea Lack shelf the right way up.

TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!
Hello, my name's Neil. I'm the IKEA dad, and today I'm putting up this. It's an IKEA LACK shelf in matte white. I did it absolutely completely wrong. There's a right way and a wrong way of putting this on the wall. This is upside down!

Hello, so this is it. Oh, hold it. That's the ceiling... Let's do this. Uh, open it up. This is 110 cm. I know I want it to go here like this. Find 55 cm to there. I've marked the corner of where I want it, so I just need to measure 55 centimetres from there.

It's the centre point at the top. I need the centre of the bit in the middle, so that is the middle... that middle hole there. That middle hole there, that's the middle, and I need that to be straight. Get the spirit level. Sit that on top. Put it on top of the bars, and I'll mark up two crosses in the middle of those two holes.

So, get a small drill bit. Stand on the bed, haha... [DRILLING NOISE]. Get the bigger drill bit. Rawlplugs. [MUSIC]. Get Herbie hammer to finish the job. [MUSIC]. Just check this is level. Yeah, perfect. [MUSIC]. So, I'm now going to take out these screws and drill four more holes. [MUSIC]. And again, I'll use the smaller drill bit. It's just to drill a little pilot hole. [DRILLING NOISE]. Now we change to the big drill bit. [DRILLING NOISE]. [MUSIC].

Now try to put it up and make it level. [MUSIC]. Then moment of truth - but make sure you slide it on with the two holes at the bottom because we're gonna screw into those to hold it into place. You don't really want those showing on top of the shelf. You've got a nice smooth side on the top. [MUSIC]. Check that it's level. Perfect. To make sure that it doesn't fall off, put the screws in underneath these two screws here, so they go into the small hole here and here, and they screw into this to hold it in place. [MUSIC]. Oh no! I've done it wrong! I've done it completely wrong. Learn from IKEA dad's mistakes. There's a right way and a wrong way of putting this on the wall. This is upside down! So, all of these have got to come out. [MUSIC].

So, it's this way up. The holes here should be underneath, not on top like how I had it. [MUSIC]. Say hi in the comments. Be great to hear from you. We're trying to get to 1000 subscribers. I don't think we'll ever reach that point, but you can take us one step closer, so thanks for clicking on the subscribe button. [MUSIC]. Right NOW, this is going to work. I know this is going to work. I've got the screws in here ready to go in. [MUSIC]. Okay, this is one screw. [MUSIC]. And then the other screw. [MUSIC]. One level in the right place. I did it! How did you get on? Please say hi in the comments. Be good to hear how well you managed to cope with the IKEA LACK shelf, and thanks for watching this video! Here is what YouTube thinks you should be watching next!

Previous post...
My Cockerspaniel leg problem


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!