Wednesday 21 October 2020

BEST Sony ZV1 budget external mic AUDIO TEST & REVIEW Does BOYA BY-M1 work with SONY ZV 1 CAMERA



As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shot on SONY ZV-1, BUY ONE HERE - IT'S BRILLIANT! 
Boya BY-M1 CLIP-ON LAVALIER MICROPHONE
Comica MINI DEADKITTEN WINDSHIELDS

Does the BOYA BY-M1 microphone work with the Sony ZV-1 camera? 
And what is the best external lapel lavalier clip-on mic for the Sony ZV1 anyway?  
Here's my review and audio test of the Boya BYM1 - in short, I love this microphone, that's why I've used it on my last 3 cameras.
And does it work with the Sony ZV 1 camera, because it has a TRRS 3.5mm jack?  Yes, it does work. Beautifully.

BEST Sony ZV1 budget external mic! AUDIO TEST & REVIEW Does BOYA BY-M1 work with SONY ZV 1 CAMERA?




0:00 Does BOYA BY-M1 work with SONY ZV 1 CAMERA? Best Sony ZV1 external lapel mic! AUDIO TEST & REVIEW
2:00 Comparing Boya BY-M1 external lav mic vs Sony ZV-1 internal built-in microphone, outdoors.
3:10 Best Sony ZV 1 camera settings for Audio Rec level, for Boya BY-M1 microphone and internal in-built mic: 11 for Boya BYM1 and 25 for built-in mic.
4:05 Boya BY-M1 lapel external mic vs SONY ZV 1 internal microphone, indoors
5:45 Sony ZV1 internal mic vs Boya BY M1 external microphone outdoors with Comica windshield (mini deadcat or deadkitten muff)
6:20 Boya BY-M1 review: I like the 1.5m length cable, I don't like it has a battery.
7:00 Sony ZV-1 built in microphone vs Boya BY-M1 mic, outdoors with deadcat.
7:30 Does the Boya BY-M1 work with a Sony ZV-1 camera, even though it has a TRRS 3.5mm jack? Yes, it does.
8:05 My Sony ZV 1 accessories video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PMsbQWxtSQ

TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

Hello, welcome back to the happy hut. 
Does the Boya BY-M1 work with the Sony ZV1 camera or ZV-1 if you're from somewhere like me?
And the answer is yes it does! 
Because I’ve got two of them, and the other one is plugged into the Sony ZV 1 right now.
You're actually listening to the Boya BY-M1 clip-on lavalier lapel microphone 
I absolutely love this microphone 

I’ve used it on my GoPro hero... I’ve used it with my Osmo pocket...
I’m just trying it out now so that you can hear exactly how this microphone sounds with the Sony ZV 1.

Now I don't have a windshield on it, I’ve got the normal kind of pop shield on it but I don't have one of those big furry windshields... 

I’ll be doing uh an external... an outdoors, “external” - I’ll be doing an outdoors test - audio test with the Boya BYM1 plugged into the Sony ZV-1 in just a minute.
There's time codes in the description to guide you through all of this.

I’m just basically trying to do as much talking as possible so you get to hear how this microphone sounds.
What do you think?
It's about four o'clock here in the UK, so you can hear a lot of traffic in the distance hopefully.

Maybe I should be quiet for a moment so you get to hear how the microphone sounds when it's not picking up any fantastic things that I’m saying?

In this video I’m going to compare how this sounds outdoors against the Sony ZV 1 camera's in-built microphone, then after that we're going to go indoors into the happy hut... which is quite a challenging audio environment, and you'll get to hear what it sounds like indoors.

And then we'll go for a proper walk. 
We'll do some vlogging, some walking and talking with the Boya BY M1 so you get to see what it's like with a big furry mini deadcat windshield on, just in case there's some light wind now affecting how this is sounding.

This is how the Sony ZV-1 camera or ZV1 camera sounds with the inbuilt microphone or built-in microphone.
I don't think anyone's quite agreed on that yet, but I’m going to do some talking so you can compare how this sounds with the Boya BY-M1 which isn't plugged in right now.
You might be able to hear in the background I’ve got some kids on a trampoline, and some traffic noise as people go home, and it looks like maybe a few raindrops as well.
So I’ll keep talking so you can compare the inbuilt microphone with the Boya BY-M1
I don't know why I’m still holding this! 
This is how the Boya BYM1 clip-on lavalier mic sounds compared to the in-built microphone for the Sony ZV-1 

I can't say it still... the Sony ZV 1 or ZV1 camera built-in microphone.
This is how it sounds and now we're back on with the Boya BY-M1 plugged into my Sony ZV1 camera or is it ZV-1 camera/
I’ll show you later on, also the audio level settings that I’ve had to change in the camera itself.
I set the camera to around 11 for plugging the Boya BY M1 and as you know yourself if you have a Sony ZV-1 camera the audio setting tends to be around the 25, 26 level for the inbuilt microphone.
I had to bring it right the way down for this microphone.

Oh I don't need to show it to you later, that's it right there! 
How does this compare with the Boya BY-M1?
Leave a comment or if you have no opinion just say hi it'd be great to hear from you.
One more time with the Boya BY M1 lapel microphone external microphone plugged into my Sony ZV 1 camera... and back to the internal microphone on the Sony ZV-1 camera.
We'll do a proper walk and talk in a minute, but it's getting a little bit cold so let's... let's go inside now to the happy hut to see how, or hear how, the Boya BY-M1 sounds indoors.
I’m actually inside the happy hut.
Hello welcome to the happy hut! 

It's not a very forgiving place for audio in here.
There are lots of hard surfaces, but I’m still doing my best to do as much talking as possible so you get a sense of how this microphone sounds with the Sony ZV 1 camera or the ZV-1 digital camera.
Let's compare it now to the inbuilt microphone or is it built-in microphone.
This now is how the Sony... I keep saying “zoni” - the Sony ZV 1 or ZV-1 camera sounds with the built-in microphone.

And this is how the BYM1 microphone sounds indoors again, I’ll give the mic a gentle tap.
This is how the built-in microphone sounds indoors in the happy hut with a lot of hard surfaces.
This is the Boya BY-M1 external microphone on the Sony ZV1 or ZV-1.
I’m going to be quiet now just to see what it sounds like.
I can't even say the sentence.

I’m going to be quiet for a few seconds so you can hear the ambient noise and any other noise that might be picked up by this microphone.
[SILENCE]
I’m going to be quiet for a few seconds just so you can hear any other noise on the recording.
[SILENCE]

I'm back again on the Boya BY-M1 and this is how the built-in microphone sounds.
What I’m going to do now is head off outside and see how this sounds in outdoor conditions.
I’ve put this Comica deadcat or mini deadcat or deadkitten windshield onto my Boya BYM1 just so you can see what it's like in a sort of a walking vlogging situation.
I much prefer using the Boya to having some kind of shotgun microphone.

I find it a little bit more discreet even though there's a cable attached between me and the, the camera. 
Maybe now's a good time to talk through some of the... the upsides - the things I love about the Boya BY M1 and some of the downsides.
I actually really like the long cable.

Some reviews have said that it's a bit annoying having so much cable.
I don't find it annoying at all.
I really need it and I’ve used the Boya BY-M1 in some interview situations where I’ve plugged two microphones into a splitter cable.

You can't really get away from it but there is a battery, a very small battery.
I’ve no idea when it runs out and it is a bit fiddly to fit, but having a battery is a little bit annoying.
I have given myself a little mnemonic device just to remind myself not to leave it on.
It seems to work, I do seem to turn it off so... so that's helpful.

I’m going to take this off now because this is the Sony ZV 1 camera internal microphone: the built-in microphone or the in-built microphone whichever you prefer.
I’ve got it all caught up in my thing, there we go.
You can hear some irresponsible motorcyclists in the background probably.
I’m going to try and keep talking so that you get a sense of how the internal microphone sounds compared to the Boya BYM1, but maybe now's a good time for us to cut back to-- oh there's another thing that's that comes up a lot every time I’ve reviewed the Boya BY-M1.

There's always a comment that says “But the connector! The connector, Neil! 
It's a TRRS! Surely that's for phones? It's not going to work in a camera!?”
Trust me, the Boya BYM1 absolutely works in a Sony ZV 1 camera - you're listening to it right now.
The great thing with doing these microphone reviews for the Sony ZV-1 camera is that I get a lot of exercise, so I’m just going to keep walking around trying to avoid the dog walkers.

You probably noticed, when I show you shots of the camera I’ve got all kinds of things attached to it.
I actually made a whole other video just about that all my budget accessories.

I’ll put that link in the description and it might even be on screen now, you can click on the “i” and I’ve got quite a few more videos like this coming up, so you might want to hit the subscribe button down below.
That would also help me enormously because I’m trying to get to 10000 subscribers.
I have no idea if that's going to happen but you could take me one step closer and this is how the built-in microphone sounds.
I’m going to go quiet for a moment just so you get a sense of how the ambient noise sounds outdoors.
[SILENCE]
Maybe I’ll be quiet for a moment so you can hear some ambient noise.
We've got a major road in that direction and a major playground in that direction.
I’ll just give you some silence so you can hear ambient noise while I’m walking.
[SILENCE]
I think I’m gonna get photobombed by a jogger...
And now back to the Sony ZV-1 built-in microphone.
Also in the description, I’ve put links to the microphone itself and also to this Comica mini deadcat deadkitten windshield.
I just leave it on all the time.
And how are you finding the sound of the Boya BY-M1?
What do you think?

Is this something that you might like to buy?
Do-- would you prefer to have like a shotgun microphone on the top of your Sony ZV-1? 
Leave a comment below!
This is how the built-in microphone sounds outdoors while walking... on the... not “on the” but WITH the Sony ZV 1 camera.
Right here is what YouTube thinks you should be watching next just... just as the helicopter goes over! 
I take it you can hear the helicopter right?



Previous post...
HOW TO CLEAN UP PODCAST AUDIO optimize and remove background noise Auphonic.com


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!