Sunday 29 November 2020

How much I earn from 13 AD BREAKS in ONE YouTube video - My YouTube paycheck



I put 13 AD BREAKS into one of my YouTube videos - here's what happens next and how much money I earn!
I added many mid-roll commercial breaks into the videos on my YouTube channel to experiment with how much money Google Adsense pays me for them.

There are some surprising results with the revenue I make, so keep watching after the first couple of YouTube videos...!

How much I earn from 13 AD BREAKS in ONE YouTube video! My YouTube paycheck!



0:00 How much I earn from 13 AD BREAKS in ONE YouTube video!
1:19 Tour of my YouTube Studio dashboard.
1:30 How much YouTube pays me this month: my YouTube paycheck.
1:43 What happens when I add 13 mid roll ad breaks into my YouTube video: All my YouTube revenue details explained.
4:07 What is YouTube Watch Time and Average View Duration?
4:30 How much money I make from YouTube for my Bus Blind video.
6:00 How much money YouTube pays me for my UK online postage video.
8:30 Why does Average View Duration go up with MORE ad breaks? Does Skip Ads have an effect?

TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)

Just over one month ago I made this video! 
I'm trying out an experiment where I add 13 ad breaks to one YouTube video.
There's a link to that video in the description, if you click on the "i" it should be on screen now, but don't watch that video because this is the update!

THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!

This is one month later.
What happened to the video where I added 13 ad breaks to one video?
You can skip ahead if you like but here is me adding 13 ad breaks to one video.
[MUSIC]
"Ad break!" 
"Ad break!" 
"...fits pure..." 
"Ad break!" 

Oh so we are now one month on, and oh my goodness it's now mid November.
That happened sort of around the end of the first week of October.
You're gonna see everything: I'm going to go into the analytics, you're going to see how much revenue I get now... how much I got then... 
It's a good way for you to see my analytics and all my revenue statistics and google adsense money.

Hello, by the way, my name is Neil Mossey. 
I'm a development producer helping high achieving creators and performers just like you - there goes the sound effect - to get ideas out of your head and out onto here on YouTube. 

Because we need it.
There's some horrible horrible stuff on YouTube, we really need your videos, so I do these experiments to show what it's like to be a beginner.
I'm not yet proven. 
This is how my analytics looks because I'm monetized. 

I've got over 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours, and if you're aiming to get that I hope this video helps.
I'll try and show you some statistics along the way.
You can see I'm getting 232 dollars this month, but we're going to go into the individual videos and I'll go into my Vaillant boiler video.
The video is of me reading the instruction manual for a central heating boiler.
I think in other countries you call it a furnace? 

Oh it's a very dull video and I don't expect anyone to watch it so I'm hoping that 13 ad breaks will mean that there is some extra revenue along the way.
You can see the graph violently veers upwards.
That's not because of my experiment.
That is because it's getting cold and people are looking up videos on how to set their boiler, so I'm a little bit disappointed that the graph is going up quite steadily.
Look that's me impersonating the the graph in arm form.

And it's estimating a revenue for the last month up until today of 22 dollars, and this is another reason why this is a terrible experiment: it's getting colder so more people are going to be watching anyway, but let's compare this 28 days with October.
Right so in October I got 24 dollars, which is two days extra, so it hasn't really had any effect whatsoever on my revenue.
Oh my goodness.
If I compare it with September, you can see this upswing from 47 views to 225 views.

That is literally when it got cold here in the UK, so it meant that the revenue used to be around sort of around the 20 cents per day mark and then when it got cold it's up to the one dollar a day level, so that's September.
I actually added the ad breaks on the 5th of October.

If I go to the 90 days view, I added the ad breaks here.
This was the day, so I got 58 cents that day and then for two days the revenue went down! 
I think this might be more to do with the weather in this country than me adding 13 ad breaks.
I just don't think it actually had that much effect, looking at these peaks, because it's still really bumping around somewhere between the 65 cents and 1.22 level.
So if you were expecting my revenue to just explode, it really didn't.

I think the result of this particular experiment is "inconclusive".
I'll add a inclusive graphic - a really tasteful inconclusive graphic on my face there.
Or maybe on my forehead: inconclusive.
I'm not disappointed, I'm just surprised.
I thought the revenue would go up.

Let's look at the watch time: the average view duration for this video was three minutes and four seconds in October.
It goes down a bit and let's take a look at the last 28 days. 
It's... it's still at 3:04 so if this helps: adding a load of ad breaks to my one video hasn't damaged the average view duration at all.
But all is not lost because I added more ad breaks to more videos let's take a look.

This is me adding ad breaks to my bus blind video.
This is a video that I really do not and should not have on my channel, where I build a nice picture frame for my bus destination blind.

And these are the analytics so since I publised my bus blind video I've earned $1.99 and if I click on the revenue... the revenue is growing steadily but again there's no big change after the 5th of October, which is right in the middle of that upward slope.
Let's take a look at the last 28 days and compare that with October.
So for the last 28 days I've earned 43 cents, let's compare that with September where I earned 50 cents! 

In October this video earned me 38 cents so the revenue went down quite a lot.
Well, 10 cents but proportionately it feels like a lot.
I added the extra ad breaks on the 5th of October which is here and to me it looks like I was earning more money... that's my chair, sorry.

It looks like I was earning more money before the fifth of October than afterwards! 
We can move on, going from one ad break to six ad breaks the result is inconclusive.
Or it's... it's conclusive and the revenue didn't go up at all.
Don't worry I've got another experiment.
This chair - it's honestly - it's the chair, it's not me.

This next video is me explaining to a UK audience how to buy postage online.
My biggest fear with this video is that I don't earn that much money anyway because it's for a UK specific audience and we get a much lower rpm which is revenue per mille... or revenue per thousand views.
Now I think that graph is going up just a tiny bit more steeply.
Let's go to the last 90 days.
That looks like the revenue has gone up.

If I put my marker on the fifth of October, that's when I added five ad breaks where there was only one ad break and I think the revenue there looks like it has really very much gone up.
It's kind of covering an area that looks like double the value.
If I put the marker on the fifth of October...
How weird is that! 

That the day that I added a load of ad breaks it got $1.87!
That couldn't have been from me clicking on it could it?
Which I don't do, and you... bad things will happen from YouTube if you try to click on your own videos.
That's weird isn't it?
Isn't that an uncanny coincidence that the day I added five extra ad breaks it did a crazy amount of revenue that day.

It looks like the peaks are higher after I added the extra ad breaks.
Leave a comment down below tell me what you think.
So let's compare the figures for September.
My revenue was $8.51 and then in October... $15.84 so I doubled... I doubled my money!

Now the views only went up by 500 from 1.2 to 1.7k, but the revenue went up from $8.51 to $15.84.
This is conclusive! 
I'm calling this.
The revenue definitely has doubled by adding five mid-roll ad breaks to this video.
It's definitely had a positive impact and if I look at November we're only halfway through the month.
16 dollars, and that's 28 days rather than a 30-day calendar month.

I'm definitely getting much more revenue now with five ad breaks than with one ad breaks.
I'm quite happy about that.
Let's see the effect on my watch time because if the watch time drops it might mean that that YouTube offers it to fewer people.

My average view duration is three minutes 27 seconds in October.
When I added the ad breaks it goes up a little: 3:34 - up three percent there.
For the last 28 days the average view duration is 3:38, so my average view duration has gone up.
Even though I've added five ad breaks my view duration has gone up. 

I think that bizarrely having an ad break means that a viewer has to actively click "skip ads" and I think psychologically that might not be a negative thing.
I'm wondering what if psychologically people watch longer because they are actively skipping ads? 
It's like an affirmation that "yes I want to watch this video". 
If you want to know how to actually physically add the ad breaks that video is here: where I add the 13 ad breaks.

It walks you through the entire process and if you want to follow and track some of my other YouTube experiments please hit the subscribe button.
I'm trying to get to 10000 subscribers so thanks for taking me closer, and down here is what YouTube thinks you should be watching next.

Previous post...
HOW I ADD SUBTITLES my YouTube videos 2021 NEW easy fast CC closed captions | And another language


All about me, and getting these by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!