We took two completely different vlogging cameras out for a chaotic, rainy real-world test around London with the family: Insta360 Luna Ultra (pocket gimbal camera) directly against the Sony ZV-1 (compact point and shoot camera) to see which one is actually worth buying if you want to start a YouTube channel or upgrade from your phone video camera.
Buy Insta360 LUNA ULTRA camera HERE: (Commissions Earned)
👉 (Amazon US/World) https://amzn.to/4piOj7Y
👉 (Amazon UK) https://amzn.to/4gv6GnK
Microphone: INSTA360 MIC AIR
And SONY ZV-1, BUY ONE HERE:
From fighting tight lens focal lengths and sudden dead batteries to wrestling with messy wireless microphone setups and torrential London rain, we put both setups through their paces across Tate Modern, Oxford Street buses, and Camden Lock Market. Which camera handles real travel vlogging best? Watch to see the side-by-side footage and our honest breakdown.
Which Vlogging Camera Should You Actually Buy? (Luna Ultra vs Sony ZV1)
TRANSCRIPT: (CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE)
THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT - CLICK PLAY ON THE VIDEO ABOVE!
So, we're in London for a very special camera test. Can I get in the video? Yeah. Yeah. Subscribe. Subscribe to Neil Mossey! Thank you. So, we're here. We're here in London to do a very special camera test and I'm doing this with my family. Oh, I've lost half my family. They're over there. [laughter]
Edit them in in the background. This might not work. So, this is a strange video. I wanted to compare two cameras that you probably shouldn't even really compare. The first camera is like a... is a pocket gimbal camera like this Luna Ultra from Insta360 against this camera. If I spin my other camera around the Sony ZV1 or ZV-1 being modelled uh and operated very fantastically backwards by my son here. Thanks for your work. mind you're going to hit a food... street food stand there. But they are two wildly different cameras and if you're wanting to start a YouTube channel or maybe you want to upgrade your camera maybe from a phone it's always a difficult choice isn't it? Whether to pick something like this pocket gimbal camera like a... like a DJI Pocket 3 or Pocket 4 or P4P or the Sony ZV1... ZV-1 Mark II or maybe something like the Canon PowerShot V1. Which one do you go for? Obviously, it depends on what you want to do. Uh, so today I'm doing some vlogging here in London with my family. Maybe with your channel you're mainly indoors, or maybe you want to do something even more extreme than just out and about city travel. I'm going to show you the pros and cons of each camera, and I'm going to do it out and about in London, which might be a bit tricky. It's also a really terrible uh weather day today. So, it's going to be a good test for these two cameras. But, I'm going to try and give you as much footage as possible so you can compare the two. And I'll just I'll just point out the pros and cons of whether to go for something like this or something like this.
Time to get some food.
We've just noticed that on the on the big wheel, if I spin the camera around, my son just noticed pointing out I can zoom in. So, this is two, three, four times, eight times, 12 times, 12 times zoom there. A capsule is missing on the London Eye. Yeah. Oh, that looks dodge, doesn't it? And just to compare this on the Sony ZV1, I'll zoom in before the wheel turns round. So, this is the optical zoom up to there. And then I'll push in on digital zoom. And you can see the missing capsule there. We'll just move around a bit. Zoom out before we miss it completely. There's Royal Festival Hall. So, I've got my daughter camera operator for today or one of the camera operators for today. You've got the Luna Ultra. If you push that rocker up, it zooms in. And if you pull it back, it zooms out. I could do a comparison of the two cameras. So, this is the Sony ZV1 camera. I'm holding it arms length. I don't know how big my face is. I've got a feeling my face is a bit too big in the frame, which is one of my gripes with this camera. Anyway, so if you point it up, see if you can zoom into the uh Big Ben Houses of Parliament. I'll film you doing that.
And then if you press the the the joystick three times, it spins round to film you. So if you just go click click click.
There you go. And then you might want to zoom out. [laughter] There you go. So if you hold it at arms length, that's that's quite a good shot, isn't it? You know, we're not too big in shot and it's about arms length. Whereas if I hold the ZV1, this is the comparison between the two. So I've got this at arms length and then we'll go back to the Luna Ultra being held at arms length. And uh that's the difference in the lenses between these two particular cameras. For me, this is a much better vlogging shot than this shot. I think I'm a bit too in your face, but that's as much as I can zoom out. Enlarges your head. It... It really does enlarge my head.
So, the weather today as well as the noise, the weather today might be a bit of an issue, which is an issue for these cameras.
So, we are in Tate Modern now on the Luna Ultra. If you take a look at the art, this is the current art installation in the turbine hall. It looks quite interactive. And I'll just show you what it looks like. This is for indoors footage. I've got the wireless mics on. Hopefully you can hear me. I didn't want to have them out cuz I look like a bit of a tool walking around with a wireless microphone, but if you can still hear me, this is what low light footage looks like indoors. It's not that dark, but it's not that bright. So, we can compare the two. Let's go to the Sony ZV1. This is the... the turbine hall here. And let's see if we can zoom in on some of this interactive art. It's called Serendipity Island.
It's participatory. It's a participate... participatory artwork. So, I'm glad that we're up here. Ruining the art. They are ruining the art. You walk around the maze. Yes. Have you had enough art?
Yes. Now, what bridge is it?
Yeah. You know, they go down the river. Mary, Mary Poppins. Yeah. Now, the the good thing with this was with the the Luna Ultra, I was able to just get it out my pocket and hit on, press the the on button, and then um spin the camera around to get that crazy umbrella. That's art. Then, if I zoom in, it's so nice to be able to zoom in. I couldn't do this on my Pocket 3 or my action cameras. So, there you go. A nice bit of artistic umbrella down the Thames action. Pay me for that. Dad,
would you like to get one
with cheese?
Bagel. No, that's not bagels. The pretzels. We got... We got two bagels. Yes. Smoked salmon and cream cheese. We're going to go in. It's really crowded here. So, uh, wish me luck.
I don't think that shot will be approved. What? Which shot? I just got a No, now I got a closeup of of you tearing it apart. Oh, sorry. No, no, don't apologize. I I apologize to you for filming it. Not bad. You won't let you won't um put that on YouTube. This £7.50 bagel is... is lovely. Wait. Oh, yeah.
It's a bit difficult carrying these cameras and eating. Oh, do you got some apple slushie?
Yeah, it goes out focus if you go too close, I think. Lovely. Look at this.
Portable grater with giant hands. Yeah, I am massive haha. So, this is a good chance to show you some more lowlight stuff. This is on the Sony ZV-1. Got a tube coming in. Let's do this.
So, this is where the lens isn't is a bit too tight for this kind of situation. I have to give it to someone else to make it go further back.
I thought our one was 30. 38. That's the one that just left. So, we're waiting for a full circle. Yeah. Sit down. Wow. That number four is on a mission.
That one isn't. That's ours over there. 38.
Go, go, go, go, go. Take your ticket.
Thank you. These tickets are getting damper by the minute. So yeah, we're on the number 38 now. Oops. Uh to go to Oxford Street.
We're in London. This is uh another low light situation. Uh but it's good to get out of the rain.
We're getting off at this stop.
That is so impressive.
Thank you. Whoa. I tell you what's really interesting is that I'm on the Sony ZV1 now. I find that... As I'll say bye-bye to the the bus. Thank you. Number 38. I'll just pull this out. It's a lot easier to pull out the Luna Ultra. It's a lot easier to just whip out a pocket camera than my Sony ZV1. And maybe it's cuz I've got the the grip attached to it and the the wireless microphone on top, but I'm making a real effort to film things on the point and shoot because it's just so much easier grabbing this one. I just do this, flip it on, and it's good to go. And I'm recording that instantly. I don't find it that easy. If I spin this camera around, I don't find it that easy to pull out the Sony ZV1. Maybe it's because I've got the grip and the wireless attachment today. "YEAH, I'LL MEET YOU BY TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD ON THE CORNER. Where are we? So, I grew up in London. I... I think... I think I know my way around a bit. I have no idea what these screen things are for there. It's like some kind of PR events that they... that they use them for. But, let's try the cameras out here. I don't know if you can hear me, but I'm on the ZV1, [music] the point-and-shoot. It's a giant uh Tetris, which it looks like you can join in with. You can do it on your phone or something. And they've got screens all around this cube.
[music] So, I don't know how you're finding the loud noise with the wireless mics with the um I'll go on this camera here. We've got very challenging lighting conditions. I don't know how you you're finding it. Um say in the comments which one you prefer. If there's already a footage that you prefer. either the Luna Ultra or the point and shoot Sony ZV1.
Oh, hang on, hang on, hang on. Sorry they're coming on. Got slow pass. We're only going one stop. Thank you. So, this bus then going one stop, but um it was a bit of a problem at the door. Woah, nearly got my foot taken off by the front door there. Uh here we go. So, we're going to sanitize now cuz we're in London. Anything you touch will kill you.
We are being max tourists right now, which is excellent. The only way to experience London is to wander aimlessly through the traffic. I'm holding this at arms length and I know already that it's too close to my face. Big problem for the ZV1. I'm sort of remembering why I never vlog with this camera. It is not kind to your face or to the surroundings around you.
I don't know how frenetic this video is going to be. We're just jumping from location to location, but we're in um John Lewis now, and I'm very excited about this because it's one of my favourite places to come. They have a restaurant on the top floor, and it's really nice to just sit there and just get half an hour of sitting down time. And it's been closed for like 3 months and it's just been reopened. So, we're going to we're going to see if it's any good. I don't know if I could be bothered to film it because it is a department store cafe, but why not? It's more testing of the cameras.
So, we've got a situation here where that police car wants to get past that bus and that bus ain't budging.
There we go.
There we go.
They're going to arrest the bus driver.
Were is that taxi going?
So, I've already hit the first problem. In my opinion, the the Pocket Camera, the Luna Ultra, is better in these situations. Battery's dead. It's a new battery. Uh, I started filming about the same time. I think I've been filming about the same amount of material, and this is dead. I've had this on airline mode, so all the Wi-Fi is turned off, the Bluetooth's turned off, the screen isn't particularly bright, and it's dead. And it's what, 3:00 now. This is the first casualty. But it's okay cuz I can top it up with uh battery that I've got in my rucksack. But this is something the reviews go on and on and about the the battery life. I think it is kind of better on the on the Luna Ultra. Also, don't forget, I mustn't forget. I need to keep the microphones charged up as well. I think they're holding up. I've got them tucked in here. This could sound like total rubbish, but that might be clearer now. So, I don't even know if the sound that I've been filming has been uh not very good. It's time for another bus. This time on the Luna Ultra. Oh, that's helpful. Trying to push here. There we go. Up to the top deck. Indoors. Low light capabilities. We're only going two stops. Huh? Has it got stuff in
Because this is Carnaby Street. I'm now on the Luna Ultra. I don't know. I think my... I think my wireless microphones are holding out. My son and his nephew are looking for glasses here now. Uh we're going to go to the RayBan shop, which we've been to before back when the you know those RayBans, the pervert glasses came out where you could... the what? The meta glasses. The meta glasses, that's what they're called. Not pervert glasses. Um we came to try them out when they first came out, but we just want to get some regular sunglasses. We did manage to find a very specific brand of matt black new wayfarers size 52, but they don't have them in the store. So, we've ordered them, which... that happens a lot, doesn't it? I know it's not about the cameras, but this is for me to test the microphone to moan about, you know, when you go into a shop and they say, "Oh, no, we haven't... we could order it for you." And you just think, "Well, yeah, I... I thank you. I could have done that by just being sat on my ass at home." But anyways, this is good because we've ordered it. We paid for it. Uh, so I'm jumping between the Luna Ultra....
Okay, so we just seen this is the stage door of the London Paladium and it was just a giant cheer just went up. I don't know who it is. [cheering]
I'm filming the wrong person. Where where's the polka dot like she's got what? Say again. Polka dot polka dot thing. Oh, right. Yeah. Okay. Go. Okay. So, this is Kendall Jenner there. Kendall Jenner. And now an M&S food truck has just gone in the way. Superstar. Yeah. They're all holding the programs up. Oh, yeah. Who is that? I think it's Kendall Jenner. But who is it? Who is it? Who's it? Here's a big drawback with both of these cameras, and this is where they're comparable. It's raining. We've got a bit of a storm going on at the moment. I don't know if you can see it. You can see the umbrellas up. These cameras do not like rain. They do not like extreme weather. They don't like snow, dust, sand, desert, beach. All of these things will kill these cameras. So, you need an action camera for that kind of thing, like my DJI Nano. That's the one I use when it's weather like this. Oh my god, it is really bad. I don't know if you can see quite how heavy the rain is. I've got to stop filming now because this will kill my Luna Ultra. So, now we're looking for prom dresses and there's a very specific store called JJ's House. It's not for me. It's for my daughter. Oh, there it is.
Get my measure to the sixth form. She'll have another prom dress. That's what Amber did. Wow. Look at you, queen. Oh, look at the little tiara as well. Wow. Princess. [applause] Yeah.
It's lovely, isn't it? So, the first difference between the two is really obvious when you look at it. On here, I've got Can you see that there, Joe? I've got uh Oh, I'm not This isn't turned on. Now, the first difference between the two cameras is really obvious when you look at it. I've got a wireless receiver on the top here for the Sony ZV1. I've also got this really ugly barn door of a monitor on the side. I've had to pull this out because this receiver, it is connected to my wireless microphone, that wireless microphone, and the battery has died on the receiver. It's about 4:00. I've been filming a lot, but for this camera, I've got to actually plug it in with a 3.5 mm cable. It's so cumbersome. I don't know why Canon and Sony don't enable some kind of Bluetooth thing where you could plug in any Bluetooth microphone to your point-and-shoot camera. You you're hearing me now through the onboard microphone. This is what it's like without it. And it would mean that I wouldn't have all this goubbins on the top. So, that's one huge difference between the two. The Luna Ultra, which you can see here, is just connected seamlessly to the the microphone here. It just I don't have to do anything. I just turn that thing on, make sure this is turned on, and we're good to go. With this camera, the point and shoot, it's you got to plug things in, which is really annoying. The other huge difference I can show you on the Luna Ultra, obviously, it's the way it's designed... You just and it's good to go. For today's footage that you'll see, I've attached this grip, this kind of mount grip. It just means I've got a bit of security with it. Partly for the stabilization, so there's nice steady shots on this camera with the grip, but also for security, someone doesn't snatch it out of my hand as well. So, that's one huge difference or two huge differences between the point and shoot and the pocket gimbal camera. We're now going to go north on the northern line to Camden Town, which is where I'm from originally, and we'll see if we can get mugged or robbed in Camden Lock Market. [laughter] Let's go. Maybe it'll be people on the streets, or maybe it'll be the stalls. Yeah, it's the magic of Camden.
Now, with this camera, the Insta 360 Luna Ultra, it's got the built-in legs to the bottom on the uh the clip-on handle extender. I'm just tired. I'm not... I'm not drunk. Uh let me tilt it down. So, it's a lot easier to to put down. It's not... It's not as easy as uh an action camera, but at least you've got some legs. You've got some options to stand it upright. Without that section, uh it's... it is really difficult to put down. It's the same with my Pocket 3, but you can get cages for the DJI Pocket cameras. And they've got a magnetic base, so you can stick it to lamp posts or pull out the base. Actually, I've got one on this one on the Luna Ultra here. I've got this screw on magnetic base. I could have used that instead, but this is a lot more steady. I'm not sure I want to put it in uh public place, though. I better grab it now. Okay. Look, I can I can use the screen to have this in a weird position.
Waterloo bridge.
Have you had enough footage? Is this... How's this looking? If you got to this part of the video, thank you for hitting the thumbs up or the subscribe button. It really helps me to keep this channel going. And right here are all my other videos about the Luna Ultra, the Insta 360 Luna Ultra. And I might even have a playlist for the Sony ZV1 ZV-1. [laughter] That's all down in the description. Thanks for coming on our journey out into London today.
Previous post...
Yoto Player 4th Gen FIRST LOOK!
All about me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!