Tuesday, 12 September 2017

My son doesn’t want to do anything. And I feel exactly the same way too. #DadDirt



You know that you are a Great British Dad when...
...you want your kids to do more of less too.


I was such an ungrateful kid.
And I see it exactly the same in my 8 year-old son - but I don’t take it as ungratefulness.
He has done Beavers, swimming, wild child, Choi Kwang Do, cooking, tennis and “perform” and he doesn’t want to do any of it.

My Mum organised after-school activities for us every single night of the week.
Monday: Cubs, Tuesday: Cub Club, Weds: Clarinet, Thurs: I think Thursday was the only night off and I loved that. But that was filled with mates visits, concerts and trips. Friday: Gymnastics at Sobell Sports Centre, Saturday: Ackland Burghley Saturday morning music...

There were so many activities, there was never any time left to get good at any of them.

And all I wanted to do was stare out of the window.

It was so specific - it was the low Victorian window in the Front Room.
You could kneel on a cushion and just stare down at the street.
I very specifically wanted to watch rain falling on that pavement as my after-school activity.

I wonder if it was because Mum wanted us out of the house.
But with all our separate activities, all she ever did was tear round Holloway, Camden and Kentish Town in our battered Vauxhall Viva.
God, maybe she just loved being in that car.
It was independence. When I cleared out their loft for them to move, she’d kept the passenger seat up there.
A full 1980’s car seat. In our loft.

And now my son - the same age - doesn’t want to do anything after school.

I know how much he wants to stay in and do the same as staring out of the window that he doesn’t want to tell me.

And I think it’s good that he instead gets out there and meets people and experiences new things and masters something - anything - other than staring out of the window.

I can’t grant him the wish that I wanted.
Means I can get in some more window time.

Previous post...
My mate has this watch that tells him whats on his phone. #DadDirt


All about me, and getting these by email.