Sunday, 14 May 2017

Taking my son with the £1 coins back to the bank #DadDirt



You know that you are a Great British Dad when...
...you're trying to teach everyone the right thing to do.


I'm sat on the rickety spiral tree bench outside the library, with my 8 year old son, laying out 10 shiny new £1 coins.

ME
How does that feel?

SON
(doesn't look up)
Good.

ME
You know, because we're just wandering on a Saturday morning not doing anything better than just going round the shops... you know that I am now going to somehow turn what just happened into some kind of valuable bonding learning experience.

SON
Yes.

ME
What do you think we just learned there.

SON
(playing with the coins)
"It feels good to do the right thing."

ME
(delighted I didn't have to drag that out of him)
That's right! It does, doesn't it. Did you see the look on his face when we went back into the Bank?

SON
Yeah.

ME
He was so pleased. And because of the way you talked to him nicely - that's why he said to his manager that he knew that we'd bring the money back.

SON
Why didn't he count the coins properly in the first place?

ME
I don't know. Maybe it was because we had that nice chat and he got distracted.

SON
And gave us a sealed bag of 20 instead of 10.

ME
He would've got into a lot of trouble if we didn't take it back. And they didn't have our names or anything, so the bank would've thought that nice man behind the counter stole them. He'd already talked to his boss so it was already serious.

SON
He looked really happy when we went back in.

ME
He did. Banks aren't nice places.

SON
So why do we keep our money there?

ME
Because that's all they care about.

SON
We can go home now.

ME
Hang on. Let me check if there are any other lessons I can cram in here...
(to myself)
Honesty, happiness, helping people, man nice, banks bad...
(to him)
No we're done. Can you pick the money up? You'll lose them.

SON
I just want to look at them a bit longer.

ME
So do I.


Previous post...
Stealing my son's cheeseburger poetry #DadDirt


A complete guide to my Dad Dirt is coming together here

All about me, and getting these by email.