Monday 16 March 2020

YELLED AT DURING SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY RMT STRIKE | #TightwadDad Vlog by Neil Mossey




YELLED AT DURING SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY RMT STRIKE (...not by SWR) #TightwadDad Vlog by Neil Mossey



Train's just come in... I've got four minutes, before it goes.
It's up here...
[MUSIC]

Hello I'm Neil and this the TightwadDad Vlog.
It's a place where we try to be happy with the stuff that we've already got and this is gonna be a bit of an experiment this morning

I am - it's really early in the morning
I don't know if you can see... but it's not great weather.
I'm gonna take you along the journey with me to show you what it's like traveling on the trains here in the UK while there's a strike going on

I don't know if it's gonna be any good
Now it's Friday - so I thought it might be quiter today... but as you're about to see it's not.
[MUSIC]

The train is late which is pretty normal
So the dilemma now, as to whether I get on this one or wait for one that's less busy
[Music]

So now at Waterloo, and we're late and I've had to pay extra to come in to London so that I can go straight back out again, that way. To Clapham Junction.

South Western Railway isn't a very nice company maybe I should let South Western Railway explain themselves in their own words.

Here's a quote from them.
"Our first second and third priority is revenue."

So maybe that's why during a strike they've cancelled the few trains before this train.
And they've canceled at least four trains... well not cancelled, they've just disappeared them.
They've deleted four trains - the four trains after this train - I'm trying to find the humour in this - bear with me.

And on the tannoy announcements they're blaming it on the strike

But... there are still revenue protection guards on the trains to check that we're paying the same amount of money for the rubbish service - and the services they've deleted.

So they have the staff - they've got the staff
From my point of view this is because perhaps South Western Railway isn't a very nice company and in their own words their first second and third priority is revenue
[Music]

So anyway now I'm gonna get on this extra train that costs me more
That takes longer.

So that I can earn some money myself to then give to South Western Railway next week.
What am I doing?!
What are we doing?!
There's beautiful London that I paid a ticket for - to get in to - and I'm not even gonna get to see it - This is purely so I can change trains.
[Music]

This is Clapham Junction this is the station I wanted to change at - I wanted to get the ticket through - because it's a lot cheaper.
I'm here 20 minutes later... than when I went through it the first time.
[MUSIC]

Okay, my train's been cancelled, so I've got a nice 11 minute break here
Hope it doesn't get crowded
[MUSIC]

And we're in the London Overground now and there's some overhead wire problems.
So the whole line's suspended

This train's going in a different direction

What's good about TfL and London Overground is they're actually arranging for a shuttle service to run between Shepherds Bush and Clapham Junction

South Western Railway wouldn't do that - when - last night when they had a problem - they just shut the whole line and didn't bother running a shuttle over the 40 miles up to the problem because their priority... the first second and third priority is revenue.

So I feel like I'm in good hands here.
There's a problem, but London Overground staff are clearly doing something about it for the passengers not for the revenue

Okay so they say there's a shuttle service to Shepherds Bush but there's a train five minutes before then from another platform so I'm going to try and get on that one but that one isn't very reliable - that's a Southern train service

We're gonna see if it's running today
[Music]

You need the pastry shops to give you the energy
To be able to do this.
[MUSIC]

I think it's gonna be busy.
I'm too old for this.

So I've made it - about half hour, 40 minutes after I would prefer it to be.
let's see how it works in the other direction

okay so just found out all those people I walked past...

The barriers are shut over there - and no... no-one mentioned it.
Commuters never talk to each other
That's sort of why it's a bit weird and difficult for me to do this
I'm literally walking around talking to a camera - I'm talking full stop
Let's try that again

So, I've made it in - probably now another five minutes later than usual
Let's see how this goes in the other direction
"YOU CANNOT--"

So my greatest fear actually happened
That shot there - that I just thought was a funny innocuous shot of the "Please don't run" sign...
This guy starts shouting at me.

"YOU CAN'T FILM HERE! YOU CAN'T FILM!"
It's a guy in a in a Hi-Vis suit but it didn't have any London Underground or Overground branding on.
I need to see some...

"YOU CAN'T FILM! YOU CAN'T FILM!"
It's like... And here's me saying good things about the London Overground
I still think it's a good line - and run well.
But he's going "YOU CAN'T FILM!"

I said, "I'm sorry! I don't know who you are."
Because he had a company lanyard that said Vinci on it?
I said "I don't know--"

"YOU CAN'T ASK ME WHO I AM. YOU CAN'T FILM!"
So it's like... "I don't know why you're yelling at me!"
So he walked me over to the station supervisor and said "I WILL CALL THE POLICE!"
And it's like, but, I still don't know who you are - I'm so sorry

"THIS IS WHO I AM"
He held up this ID card that said he was a contractor working for London Overground
Well that's great that's great

But if you just go up to people yelling at them - you know it's like we take everything at face value.

Anyway station manager very calmly politely said that because of the current threat that no filming is allowed at all anywhere on the Lond-- on the--

I can't even say it.
Anywhere on the--
Any INEPT filming.

Like my filming is good enough to help the threat
I'll be lucky if some of it's in focus.
But you're not allowed to film anywhere on the London Overground
[MUSIC]

Okay I'm going home by tube, because I got such a kaa-kaa shower on the Overground, I couldn't face it again.
So I'll see if I can get on this train.
[MUSIC]

So after this morning turns out there was a massive landslide on my railway line

So they they stopped the line and I can't tell if the bad barebone service they're giving at the moment is because of that, or the strike or, just because they can't be bothered
I've got to wait an extra 45 minutes to get my train so I'm just gonna stand here for half an hour and then sit down

Trains just come in I've got four minutes before it goes - it's up here
[MUSIC]

That's it - I think - so I'm going to end this now
I hope that this will be the end

That's what it's like traveling on South Western Railway in the middle of a strike
If you've got to this part of the video thanks for sticking with it - it'd be great to hear from you if you wanna give me a thumbs up

Leave a comment - it'd be lovely to hear from you.
But thanks for coming on this journey with me.

It's just a little piece of history - just to prove on video that it is hard
Harder than usual
Thanks.

Gonna stay here, I think.

Previous post...
Dyson Red Flashing Light - What to do next | Neil Mossey TightwadDad Vlog


All about me, and getting these by email.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Try my previous book! (UK) (US)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate it!