Thursday, 8 June 2017

How I voted wrong for 4 years but it was probably right #DadDirt



You know that you are a Great British Dad when...
...you realise that party politics has absolutely nothing to do with Democracy.


I'm at the other end of the table from my Long-Suffering Wife (LSW), with the kids fighting over the Berries and Red Cherry corner yoghurts.

LSW
Noone wants the red cherries.

ME
I hate elections. They remind me of 2001, and the vote before that in 1997. I voted "Rainbow Alliance".
I thought they were for the Environment.
I couldn't find Green.
It was Camden in the 90's.
How can they not be putting up a green candidate?

LSW
The Rainbow Alliance is Green?

ME
I didn't know. I thought you know... because of Greenpeace, Rainbow Warrior? I wasn't getting much sleep then.

LSW
So you voted for the Rainbow Alliance.

ME
Right. And proudly. Spoke about it freely. Told everyone for four years.

LSW
And that was '97.

ME
Fast forward to 2001. There's talking in the office and I bring this up. "I couldn't find the Green box - in Camden - so I voted Rainbow Alliance".

LSW
I think I know where this is going.

ME
Someone in the office - Nick - knocks on my door - way before all that open-plan balls - he knocks on my door. "Um Neil..." And he's got these printouts about the Rainbow Alliance Party.

LSW
And they're Gay.

ME
How did you know this?

LSW
The flag's a bit of a giveaway.

ME
So I gave my full-on support to this political campaigning group for the Gay movement. For 4 years. I'm kind of proud.

LSW
"You did your bit".

ME
Got the internet now. Not sure I'm that much more on it.

LSW
I like the gay flag. Always wondered why it's a rainbow.

ME
"If you get my gay friends together in a room, you can never get them to agree on anything".

LSW
Probably best you stay off the internet.


Previous post...
Housework that I do that will never count as housework aka What do you want, a medal? #DadDirt


A complete guide to my Dad Dirt is coming together here

All about me, and getting these by email.