Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Why Im not allowed to get on that next train #DadDirt



You know that you are a Great British Dad when...
...you've got no fight left in you.


I’m sat on a platform on the phone to my Long-Suffering Wife (LSW).

ME
(ON PHONE)
Everyone on that train - that train stuck in front of me - paid extra to get on that train before 10am.

LSW
(ON PHONE)
So why can’t you get on it?

ME
Because it’s a scheduled peak-time train.

LSW
But it’s past 10 o’clock.

ME
And I’ve got an off-peak ticket. So I can’t. But that’s not winding me up. I’ve been those people. They’ve paid extra to travel before 10am. And now it’s past 10. And not one of them will get a refund.

LSW
Is that how you want to spend your time?

ME
No.

LSW
So it’s wrong. What can you do to change it.

ME
Nothing. And that company gets to make a profit from it.

LSW
Is there any way you can make a profit from it?

ME
I’ll use the time to do something else. I think that’s what winds me up - I want to call it out. I want to join with everyone else who knows it’s wrong and bring it to an end.

LSW
There’s a lot out there that’s more wrong. I don’t think you want to be fighting it.

ME
I don’t. And I’ve got a feeling it’s all a distraction anyway.

LSW
From the stuff you’re meant to be doing.

ME
I don’t want to be angry-tweeting.

LSW
Why don’t you just relax. Enjoy the journey. You’re always trying to make something. What if everyone were making something? There’d be no-one to see the stuff...

ME
I don’t know how to answer that.

LSW
What if the world needs spectators.

ME
But they could be making stuff.

LSW
What if that’s just how it is. Some people - most people - are just happy watching everybody else.

ME
That feels like a cop out. They’re just not doing stuff to stay safe.

LSW
What’s wrong with that?

ME
It’s hiding.

LSW
What’s wrong with that. If everyone’s “making stuff” and “being creative” - then there’d be no audience. No-one to change?

ME
My train’s here. I’m gonna be late.


Previous post...
Eyebrow flicker. What happens when you totally throw yourself into your Art. #DadDirt


A complete guide to my Dad Dirt is coming together here

All about me, and getting these by email.