Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Why does something Peter out? Poor Peter. His name is a verb, and I know how he feels. #DadDirt



You know that you're a Great British Dad when...
...you feel sorry for other people who have names that are doing words, and don't want to give them to your kids.


And now it's that time of the year - we're barely into March, where everyone's effort to do something new for the year peters out.

Why is it peter?

Poor Peter.

I know how Peter feels, because his name is a verb.

Everyone else thinks when they hear my name that it sounds like an order.

Kneel!

I'm so attached to my name that my brain never links it to that.

But it's not an active thrusting doing word.

Like peter.
Fade. Ebb. Fail.

Maybe I haven't given it enough time, but I can't think of any doing-word-name that pulls its weight.

They're all a bit negative.

Phil. Rob. Nick. Stu.


Dads go for men's names that are hard objects.

Nouns.

Max. Stone. Oscar. Leo.


So why don't we go for hard verbs?

Punch. Flex. Push. Kick. Jump.

Force. Focus. Aim. Power.

Why are these not boys names?



Previous post...
Why do other families' homes smell so different? #BRITISHDADSTUFF


My complete guide to Dad Dirt is coming together here

All about me, and getting these by email.