Saturday, 18 March 2017

A letter with my daughter's broken shoe to the supermarket #DadDirt



You know that you are a Great British Dad when...
...you take the time to treat the companies you buy from like trusted colleagues of your own organisation.


I was wound up.
I was going to throw it in the bin.

No.
I am going to take the time to send it to the person who spends all day working on this.
From me.
The person who works all day to pay for this.


Dear Head of Children’s Clothing (shoes)

Hello. Please forgive us for sending you this shoe directly.

It is because you are a very valued supplier of clothing to us, but my Chief Financial Officer (my Wife) wants to rethink your place in our supply chain. After a tense Board Meeting this morning, I think this is a shame for your organisation and ours, because we love your other work for us.

Your school clothing is the best - it’s hard wearing and it doesn’t look cheap, despite the efforts of our workforce (our 8 and 6 year olds).

We really appreciate it, so much so, that you don’t even have a store in our town and yet we ship it from your branches that are 15 miles away.

So that’s why we’re sending you this.

In our heads, the shoes were bought in the Christmas hols, and they have barely lasted 8 weeks. Our daughter is energetic - a kind way of saying she is a complete handful. But we didn’t think her shoes would give up in under a term (and she didn’t even wear them during Half Term).

Maybe she is just too much for them.

Maybe more suitable workwear would be Army boots.

Either way, we wanted you to see what happens at the other end of your delivery chain: The velcro stopped sticking after about a month. Then the clasp broke off so the strap couldn’t be held at all, making them useless (the other shoe is just as clapped out - I’m being cheap trying to save postage).

Let’s face it. We feel cheap for buying our daughter’s shoes in a supermarket.

So the problem is with us.

(Ironically, at 7 weeks use even at the competitive price we invested, per day, my CFO estimates that these are the most expensive shoes she’s ever worn. (And destroyed.))

How can I argue with that logic? Moving forward, how can I persuade her that your company is still the best supplier for our clothing?

As we reflect on this, we hope this shoe helps your team to also make good choices in the future, and thanks again for the great clothing.

Yours
Neil Mossey
CEO, The Mossey Family

Previous post...
How one of my Footy Pups episodes exactly followed Joseph Campbell’s Monomyth by accident


A complete guide to my Dad Dirt is coming together here

All about me, and getting these by email.