Sunday, 4 December 2016

When people put things in bold in messages to me but not everything #BritishDadStuff



You know that you are a Great British Dad when...
...no-one feels like they are being clear with you.


ME:
Hi, I don't know how to say this. So please know that it comes from a really kind place.

EMAILER:
Sure. What's the PROBLEM?

ME:
It's... it's the emails you send me. (THEN) You keep putting bits of them IN BOLD. It's... kind of annoying.

EMAILER:
But I do it to punch through IMPORTANT DETAILS. So you don't miss them.

ME:
But it's like this one here. You've put the DATE IN BOLD! I already know that's an important deadline. Because the words next to it are "This is an important deadline".

EMAILER:
I'm just being super-clear though. So you instantly see the IMPORTANT DATE!

ME:
I know. And I know my attention isn't the best and huh, movie actress Emma Stone cut her foot at a party.

EMAILER:
So I make sure the MESSAGE IS HEARD.

ME:
I know, but it's a little embarrassing. Like I can't be trusted to read an email. Urgent politics. I'll click on that petition later.

EMAILER:
You're upset that I'm just making my emails CLEAR AND EASIER ON THE EYE.

ME:
Yes. Right! If it's that crucial... why don't you just leave only the important bits in the message? Instead of putting SOME OF IT IN BOLD and nothing else? Do you see? It's a bit insulting.

EMAILER:
Okay. I'll stop doing it.
(THEN) ON THE NEXT EMAIL.
(SINGS) I WILL USE A LARGER FONT. INSTEAD.

ME:
Ooh. Ricky Martin's trending in Japan.


Previous post...
McDonalds salads are like dogs balancing treats on noses and 50-56 other Great British Dad Thoughts #BritishDadStuff


My complete guide to Understanding Your British Dad is coming together here

All about me, and getting these posts by email.