Thursday, 13 October 2016

I love my 5-second first thing morning amnesia #BritishDadStuff



You know that you are a Great British Dad...
...when you appreciate the first blissfully ignorant seconds of the day.


I've got this thing, and I haven't got a word for it.

It's that time gap first thing in the morning - when you wake up.

There's this gap - this lovely gap - where everything in the world is perfect - it's just you, and nothing else.

And then that first thought hits you. That first thought could be good. Or bad. It doesn't matter - it's the gap that's the delicious bit.

The funny thing is, the gap varies. I've never timed it with a stopwatch, but in my head, it's anywhere between 3 seconds to 15 (That was a good day).

I think the average of not thinking is about 5 seconds.
Five seconds of bliss... before "Oh yeah, forgot. Mum's in Hospital again." or, "Oh yeah, forgot. It's Saturday today!"

It doesn't matter what happens after that, because it's the usual noise of ups and downs. Fears and triumphs.
It's the gap of nothing, nomansland, the amnesia, that's the best part.

Maybe I did have a name for it. And... you know.


My complete guide to Understanding Your British Dad is coming together here

Previous post...
How can I get my daughter to say "Thank you. It's not for you." #BritishDadStuff