Friday, 14 October 2016

Following an old man smoking on the platform #BritishDadStuff



You know that you are a Great British Dad...
...when you're shocked at how great nostalgia feels to smell again.


It was so wrong.

Shocking almost.

This old man got off the train at Waterloo, pulled out a packet, and sparked up a cigarette.

It's been years since I've seen someone do that - smoke in a station, properly, strolling along without a care.

It feels like a decade.

I wish I'd taken a photo, like that massive craving we get to reach for the phone every time we see something different ... but he looked so jolly and carefree I didn't want to cramp his smoke.

And sure, it spreads cancer, but I think the shock was more the pure nostalgia of it.

I think that's why noone rushed to stop him.

It was like seeing a steam train.

And that smell. The smell of a dozen girlfriends... and dozens more wannabes.

I should probably stop following him now.


My complete guide to Understanding Your British Dad is coming together here

Previous post...
I love my 5-second first thing morning amnesia #BritishDadStuff


Get these posts daily by email. And thanks for subscribing, it helps me keep this blog going...