Monday, 16 May 2016

The closing theme from MONKEY cant get it out of my head - its #35 in my top 100 FAVE TV MOMENTS



It's another one of my top 100 fave TV moments- but again it's about some music that jammed in my head.

For years I've been humming this tune and couldn't place where it was from.

Like the closing theme from Crown Court - you don't get it because it's tucked away in the closing credits.

(back when credits lasted a minute and a half...)

Then I remembered...



It's the closing theme from MONKEY - that weird show that was on BBC2 around tea-time in the late seventies, and just before "Maggie" - the dour BBC Scotland drama with it's own earworm title music. (won't link to it now - I'll do a proper post for it...)

Everyone who saw it remembers the opening titles to Monkey.

They are IRRESPRESSIBLE!





But that closing music - it just lodged in my brain.

I guarantee you'll be sick of it by the end of this post.

Not me.

Here's how the closing titles looked and sounded like originally on TV in Japan.

ゴダイゴ「ガンダーラ」




I've played it so many times, my 5 year old girl now knows it word for word.

And in the years to come, it'll almost certainly bug her where it came from...


What's beautiful about looking this up on YouTube, is seeing the band slowly age as they play it over the decades...


Here they are all funky and bright in the 1970's when the song was born... (maybe)




Here they are in the 1980's...





And the 1990's (1994, I think)...




And finally 2013...




I think my favourite version is this one (in English, with a harp) from 2006...




There's something cathartic about seeing a band age while they play the same song over 40 years.

Somehow it feels right for this tune too...

Sing along now...!

A long time ago when men were all babes,
There was a land of the free

Fantasy and dreams, were its untouched wealth,
And goodness and love were real.

Each man desires to reach Gandhara, his very own utopia,
In the striving, in the seeking soul,
Man can see Gandhara...

In Gandhara, Gandhara, They say it was in India
Gandhara, Gandhara, The place of light Gandhara

Though long ago and far, Beyond the winding road,
Always beyond every bend,

A beautiful land still waits for the few,
Who make it to the very end.

Each man desires to reach Gandhara, his very own utopia,
In the striving, in the seeking soul,
Man can see Gandhara

In Gandhara, Gandhara, They say it was in India
Gandhara, Gandhara, The place of light Gandhara



Previous post...
"You're missing the point!" and the laziest comment on the Internet



My full Top 100 TV list is coming together here...

And here are the last few...


#26 Late Night with David Letterman



#27 Chopper Squad



#28 CHiPs



#29 The BBC Grandstand Fight



#30 Rainbow



#31 The Theme From Juliet Bravo



#32 Any and every James Hunt documentary...



#33 Foreign language sketch shows



#34 How to empty your house of stuff in 3 months and 2 minutes - NBC Today Marie Kondo package



In Gandara, Gandara, Get these posts daily by email. Gandara, Gandara, thanks for subscribing, helps me keep this going...