Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Holding my son's hand - our days are numbered... #BritishDadStuff


(source: us in 2012...)

You know you're a Great British Dad...
...when you know deep down that your hand-holding days are numbered.


I love holding my 7 year old son's hand.

Because I know that it is going to end very very soon.

I can still lift him onto my shoulders.

Only just.

So I know that it is going to end very very soon.

But it's the holding hands that I am going to miss.

He does it so unselfconsciously.

And it's for safety.

Soon he won't need that.

And he'll be away in the world.

But for now, I can still hold his hand.

And put him on my head.

He says I should workout more, and eat less chocolate - so that I can still hoist him up.

I don't know which will come first - my inability to lift him up, or him not needing to go on my shoulders.

But it's the holding hands that I think I'm going to miss the most.


My complete guide to Understanding Your British Dad is here, and is still work-in-progress

Previous post...
Why are we testing 6 year olds again? #BritishDadStuff #StopStealingDreams


Get these posts daily by email. And thanks for subscribing, it helps me keep this blog going...