Sunday, 24 April 2016

My Logo-phobia - a London schools TV video countdown from 1977

(source: Colin Grimshaw)

This is real thing - this countdown clock haunted me in 1977 - it literally terrified me age 6.

I thought it was one of the BBC for schools countdown clocks, but turns out it was from the Inner London Education Authority's own TV channel.

I've spent about 35 years trying to track it down, and just stumbled on it now by accident.

So brace yourselves - for the most disturbing thing I ever saw on TV.



(Every time I have heard music that might have been the library music bed, I've logged it. I thought it was Piero Umiliani, Momento Ritmico from Musicalettronica Vol. 1)

But now I know That Music, that haunted me at night is "Two Minutes Precisely (Ten Tigers Of Kwang Tung)" by Derek Scott)

...with the sinister ATV-logo-like kettle drums and bongos and rat-a-tat-tat that was going to get me - with the black and white swirls.



I remember the Channel 7 slate - and was confused, because I knew there were only 3 channels.
Maybe this added to its terror.

There's a documentary on logophobia, and this is my logophobia.
Sharing it with you know makes it less terrifying.
At age 6, it was going to kill me.

Here it is, enjoy - with huge thanks to Colin Grimshaw for uploading.
It's before an ILEA TV programme called London Lunchbreak, but, it's the one minute countdown.

The only other thing that terrified me was a kids TV drama (I think on ITV) that was about a lift that went into the basement levels of a tower block.
I'll hunt that down one day soon too.

In the meantime, here's Rodney Ascher's brilliant documentary on Logophobia - THE S FROM HELL.


The S From Hell from Rodney Ascher on Vimeo.


And the equally insightful Logophobia by Alex Sanders




All my British Dad Stuff is here

Previous post...
How to write for webseries... and online drama #webseries