Friday, 5 February 2016

How Seinfeld writes and every profane word I can think of for my Sacred and Profane weekly draw #scriptchat



There's a theory that ideas are more powerful (dramatic or funny) when you combine the Sacred and Profane.

Every Friday I add to my lists of Sacred and Profane, and now writing the words out for a weekly random draw to come up with new Sacred and Profane combinations, like...

Jerry Seinfeld's Pop Tarts Routine

Jerry Seinfeld talks about how he writes a routine, but the Pop Tarts one he uses as an example has lots and lots of sacred and profane combinations:

Jerry Seinfeld Interview: How to Write a Joke | The New York Times



as a kid (childhood=sacred) back of head blowing off (disfigurement=profane)

orange juice (sacred) hack at with a knife (profane)

committing a murder before you got on the school bus (sacred and profane)

wrapping your lips (sacred) around a wood-chipper (profane)

chimps (sacred) in the dirt (profane), playing (sacred) with sticks (profane)

I've now written out all my Profanes - it doesn't feel right calling them profanities, because words themselves are Sacred.

Here they are ready for the first draw week after next, I think

My list of every profane word for the Sacred and Profane weekly draw - Part One




Did I miss any profanes? They might be in the part 2 video next week, but it'd be great to be left any in comments here

The complete list of sacred and profane words is here

Previous post...
My hilarious Energy Performance Certificate man sketch with my wife #BritishDadStuff


Get my stuff daily by email, if you like. Click here to sign up and subscribe, thanks!