Tuesday, 26 January 2016

I want to hug all Old Ladies in wheelchairs #BritishDadStuff



I have a visceral reaction to Old Ladies in wheelchairs.

I can't help it... I see them and I want to hug them in the way that Old Ladies want to hug babies.

They're being pushed by their daughter or husband - thinking about it, I've clocked this a few times and I don't think I've ever seen them being pushed by someone who'd look like their son.

They always have mad hair: where it’s been combed and brushed into its former glory but it hasn’t gone the way it’s meant to.
It's defiant, in a way the legs no longer are.
And it’s beautiful.

The wheelchair old lady doesn’t believe it, but it’s as much a part of them as their smile.

And it’s the hair over the wheelchair back that always catches my attention first.

And I think how lucky you are that can can push her around in the wheelchair.

You haven't got long - it seems like a grind and you’ve probably taken hours with the carers to get her dressed and into the wheelchair.
And everything you're doing is wrong.
And you've got the same long list of tasks and feeding when you get back in.
But how lucky are you, that you’ve got one more day of doing that.

And I see the hair and I think, do you think they'd let me have a go?
Just one more push.


All my British Dad Stuff is here

Previous post...
My list of every sacred word I can think of for my upcoming Sacred and Profane weekly draw. Think they're all here.


Get these by email...