Wednesday, 21 October 2015

My Gold Badge. For surviving the 70s. Giving it to my son. #BritishDadStuff



I love this. And its yellow box.

I kept my (ASA) Gold Swimming Badge.
(Silver came in a white box. Bronze in a red one.)

It was hard won. Old Bill, the lifeguard/swimming instructor at the Kentish Town Baths was a massive alcoholic. He stank of booze. He got the rules wrong, and all I remember is failing twice having to pick up the brick from the bottom of the pool while fully clothed.

Maybe the Nation owes the kids who survived the 70s and 80s a medal.
(See also: "my tower block concrete playground").

Anyway, I gave the Gold Award to my son for swimming 5m.

It'll get him ready for the GCSE differential I'll bore him senseless with come 2024.

Comments below

All my British Dad Stuff is here

Previous post...
Why men keep strange things under their bed #BritishDadStuff


Get these daily by email... Just stick yer email address here and I'll sort you out. Thanks.