Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Lulworth. Not done yet.





I'm starting a new label called “not done yet”. It's for material where I'm not entirely convinced I've found the right “in-point”.

The best jokes in routines come from a comic thought, and finding an emotional reaction to that thought.

The difference between comedians and columnists is that both deliver deliberately provocative thoughts: but columnists do it to prove that they are in the right.

Comedians do it to sound like they're proving that they are in the right, but the ones I bow down to, get the laugh from being totally, completely and utterly in the wrong.



So anyway - still trying to find the right “in” for this.

I grew up in Lulworth.

Not the idyllic cove on the South Coast.



The urine soaked 1960's tower block near Kings Cross.

I love the optimism of Camden Council, that branding their hasty monument to concrete brutalism will somehow conjure East Dorset's World-Heritage-status beauty spot.

I also think it's funny that the children's playground comprised a halved metal sewage pipe set at an angle in concrete to form a slide.

I even think there might be something in my falling off this slide while chasing my mate Sammy and suffering severe concussion.

If only I could concentrate long enough now to follow through on my adult anger against Camden Council and nailing this routine.

Hey, there was a documentary on British Life (on BBC Four around September 2013) that ended with a shot of kids playing on a concrete slide built at the Goldfinger Tower Block in West London.

That slide is EXACTLY the same - even the steps were on the same side:







(I also think it's funny that the only picture I could find of Lulworth online was this painting above.

Surely it can't be so hated that noone could even be bothered to put it on the Internet?)


Click here for all my Dad Stuff

DON'T MISS A THING - FREE UPDATES FROM ME BY EMAIL