Thursday, 19 April 2012

DadDesk: Why am I teaching my toddlers about exotic animals?


best dad blogs


Why am I teaching my toddlers the names of exotic animals?

When you get a kid, it's like a given that at some stage you'll make sure they learn the difference between a zebra and a hippo.

When did that happen?

Surely they could do with the names of things that they're more likely to meet
Like Darren. Or South West Trains.


And when did all that start?

Biologically, have we always been teaching our kids the names of things that they are highly unlikely to come across?

I get that it's a good linguistic tool - to stretch their vocabulary to more abstract places...

But why not office equipment?

Or the words to Bohemian Rhapsody?


Click here for all my other Dad Questions...


Or, click here to get these posts direct by email.

Some responses:
@DaveEdw42 interesting. I believe it's useful to teach a toddler anything. It's interaction that's important not content. Animals easiiest?