Sunday, 30 October 2011

Want to hear the simultaneous worst/best script note I was ever given?



Best/worst note I ever received.


Asked for me to change or remove from my dialogue a “Besides...” (as synonym for “Anyway”).

The reason given was that it was part of the Script Editor’s ongoing war against its use in comedy and drama. Because it’s one of those “written” words. No-one really uses it in actual everyday speech, do they?


I huffed, puffed and got a little annoyed. But the more I thought about it... the more I realised that I hadn’t in fact heard it used in genuine actual out-and-about chit chat.

I’ve been listening out to hear someone say "Besides..." in natural speech for about six years now.

Only ever hear it used by characters on TV.



CLICK HERE for all my posts on writing...

CLICK HERE for all my Hates...


Follow me for free BY EMAIL here